• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

avi unrecognized

M

Mini iPaul

hello
i have avi files i want to put on to dvd to watch on my tv and not on my computer and im currently using ffmpegx to try and convert them to a dvd format and then burn them on toast ( i have tryed to use imove then to idvd but once it finishes importing onto imovie it is just a white screen with no sound?) but i would rather use ffmpegx option and i just relised when i drop the avi on to ffmpegx it says the avi is unrecognized and when it converts (dvd mpegenc) is the option i choose and i have tryed all the other dvd formats and i get is the audio and video ts which i then burn using toast and for that i get a black picture and no sound? i am confused and dont have to much knowledge on video formats etc...so if anyone can solve the problem of how to get my avi to convert with being "recogniozed" in ffmpegx and also the suitable format on ffmpegx to then burn to toast you would be a god send

thanks in advance

Paul

OP
B

badmojo

Convert the avi to a MOV file first using Divx doctor II. Then use ffmpegx.

OP
C

Cranky McSads

I'm running into the same problem as Mini Ipaul. Even after converting to MOV it's still unrecognized when I drag it into ffmpegx. I'm not sure what to do. I'm a really new MAC user and just cannot figure this out. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

OP
M

Mini iPaul

Hey
i just converted to mov with dvix doctor it dropped it on ffmpegx and it never work but then if you have toast just drag and drop the mov on to that it has worked for me you try that if you have toast

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.