• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Mac-Friendly Camcorders

Reaction score
This has probably been posted here numerous times before, but most of the stuff I can find it from the mid 2000's!

I am new to iMovie, but not to Macs, and I am looking to buy a camcorder. I want it for shooting fairly basic stuff to start with, so I guess I'm looking to spend under £300 if possible. If I enjoy it, perhaps I'll invest more money in the future.

Basically the advice I'm after is what camcorders are best in terms of their compatability with Macs and iMovie. I have visited the Apple website for iMovie '11, but there are just so many cameras there I don't know where to start. I also don't know what some of the additional notes mean. Should I go for mini-DV or tapeless recording? Firewire or USB?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
MacWorld Magazine has done numerous reviews over the years on various camcorders for the Mac. A search through their archived articles may help you to choose one. There are many camcorders available and it seems new models are appearing all the time.

I personally like tapeless recording and FW, however, some newer model MacBooks do not have a FW port so it depends on which machine you intend to use it with.

Hopefully you'll receive some more replies with suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
A MiniDV recorder requires a firewire connection on your Mac. There is no other way to import the video.

Reaction score
I would look for a camcorder that records in AVCHD on an SD card, I do not think that there is an easier way to record video and to get it onto your iMac.

I have tested this with various cameras Canon T2i and Sone DSC-HX5V for example and it works flawless.

Reaction score
Greetings

I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have happily used a mini dv recorder for some years and I particularly like the ability to record the finished edited work back to tape for archival purposes.

One likes to move with the times, but this is a puzzle for me:

With the gradual disappearance of dvd's, what do the 'tapeless' fans do for archiving?

Answers please on a postcard.

Cheers

Mitcherooney

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't want to hijack this thread,

You can't hijack a thread that's more than two years old....... ;)

Reaction score
Hahaha.

Actually a good question.

One of the limits of my Blackberry is the video ... so I'm in the market for a camcorder. Never would have thought that there'd be an issue or a "better on Mac" camcorder.

Thanks Mitch..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.