Is it worth going from a MBP 13' to 15'

Reaction score
Hello guys, nice to meet you all. :)

I'm currently going to buy my first Mac, I've been a veteran Windows user and would like to make "the switch."

I'm currently interested in the new MBP 13' (the Core i7 one), which I will be mainly using it in college. I would not be gaming on my laptop since I already had a high end PC and a PS3.

I was about to get the 13' model when the sales at the Apple store recommended me the 15' instead (the 2.0 GHz Core i7 one). He said that getting the 15' model will worth the extra $300 because I'll get a bigger screen and a better GPU (the HD6470 I believe)

So is it worth it paying an extra $300 for a bigger screen and a better GPU? Will the 15' be less mobility than the 13' because of its weight?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I prefer a bigger screen & a better gpu. But everyone is different. You have to decide what YOU prefer...not what others prefer.:)

Some additional info. The gpu & display are NOT upgradeable. So what you buy now...is what you're stuck with...unless you sell the computer & buy another.

- Nick

OP
can007
Reaction score
Wow Nick, thanks for the fast reply.

Well, I don't actually mind the integrate Intel GPU, but the screen estate and the weight of the laptop is what matters to me. A bigger screen means bigger laptop and a bigger laptop means more weight, so is it worth getting bigger screens, but losing mobility because of its weight and space?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow Nick, thanks for the fast reply.

Well, I don't actually mind the integrate Intel GPU, but the screen estate and the weight of the laptop is what matters to me. A bigger screen means bigger laptop and a bigger laptop means more weight, so is it worth getting bigger screens, but losing mobility because of its weight and space?

The 13" is certainly smaller & lighter (and less expensive)...so if that's really important...then get the 13".

This makes even more sense...if you get a large 22" to 24" monitor to use with your MacBook/MacBook Pro when you are at home or at work...working at a desk.

But if this will be your only computer (no external monitor)...I would go with the larger 15" display. But again...ask 100 people the same question...and 50 may say get the 13"...and 50 may say get the 15". It's really up to you what YOU want!;)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
can007
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, it seems like my new MBP will be a 15' now.

Thx for the advices.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
My advice not to echo what was already said is to go and have a play with them instore and get to feel which screen size is right for you. And secondly you can pick up the 13 inch and 15 inch and see if weight is an issue.

Personally if this is your only computer I'd get the 15 inch. Simply cause even if you get an external monitor, those monitors wont be on the go with you like the MBP will. And on the go that extra screen real estate and other things will be nice. And unless you are planing on hiking 50 KM with your MBP then most of the time the MBP will be on a car or train seat or on a desk somewhere. My point is even if you travel with your MBP you'd be surprised at how little you actually have to pick it up and carry it somewhere.

It seems you have your eyes set on the 15 inch. That's cool. But still have a play with them at the store. It can't hurt.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks a lot, it seems like my new MBP will be a 15' now.

Thx for the advices.

Hopefully you really wanted the 15" all along...and I just "nudged" you a bit closer to the 15".

But like I mentioned earlier...if you wanted to get a 22"-24" monitor to use at home or work with this notebook...then you could sort of have the best of both worlds. A BIG display when at home or work...but a smaller & lighter computer to carry when you are moving about.

Good luck with your final decision...you will love the computer regardless of which one you get!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I have a different take on this. I suggest the 13" for portability and for 300 you can get a nice 28" monitor from newegg when you are home. what I see most of the time is 15" laptops never leave the desk due to size and weight. Just my opinion on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro 15" 2.4 GHz. Core i5 4GB 1067 MHz. DDR-3 Ram
I'm far from an expert on here as I just made the "Switch" last month. But when the new MBP's came out I was going to up-grade my 13" when I found out I could up-grade to the older model 15" for very little cash difference as the price was cut on the old 15" models.
I was use to using a 15" PC and decided to go that route and I'm glad I did.
I have packed mine up in a case and taken it to work with me and out to WiFi spot just to see how my wireless connection was working and the size and weight was not an issue at all.
Good luck and enjoy your new Mac!!
Russ

OP
can007
Reaction score
Hopefully you really wanted the 15" all along...and I just "nudged" you a bit closer to the 15".
- Nick
Well, it's just that I am not quite sure about whether the extra 2" will worth the extra weight added. (since it involve a much bigger chassis to accommodate the screen and stuff)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
My choice was 15"

Which I dearly love exactly for the screen size. The 17" is to big to lug and perch on my lap, the 13" not big enough for me. I do connect it to the 27" LED display for office use, a fantastic monitor.

OP
can007
Reaction score
I'm far from an expert on here as I just made the "Switch" last month. But when the new MBP's came out I was going to up-grade my 13" when I found out I could up-grade to the older model 15" for very little cash difference as the price was cut on the old 15" models.
I was use to using a 15" PC and decided to go that route and I'm glad I did.
I have packed mine up in a case and taken it to work with me and out to WiFi spot just to see how my wireless connection was working and the size and weight was not an issue at all.
Good luck and enjoy your new Mac!!
Russ

Thx for the suggestions, by the way if I were to buy a old 15", how much would the discount be and can I pick it up in stores?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, it's just that I am not quite sure about whether the extra 2" will worth the extra weight added. (since it involve a much bigger chassis to accommodate the screen and stuff)

The 13" MacBook Pro weighs 4.5 pounds (2.0412 kilograms)...the 15" MacBook Pro weighs 5.6 pounds (2.54016 kilograms). Just stick that amount of weight in your favorite laptop bag...and see how it feels.

I really don't think that approximately 500 grams makes that much difference versus the benefits of the bigger display & better graphics hardware of the 15" MBP...but then that's just my opinion.:)

- Nick

OP
can007
Reaction score
My advice not to echo what was already said is to go and have a play with them instore and get to feel which screen size is right for you. And secondly you can pick up the 13 inch and 15 inch and see if weight is an issue.

Personally if this is your only computer I'd get the 15 inch. Simply cause even if you get an external monitor, those monitors wont be on the go with you like the MBP will. And on the go that extra screen real estate and other things will be nice. And unless you are planing on hiking 50 KM with your MBP then most of the time the MBP will be on a car or train seat or on a desk somewhere. My point is even if you travel with your MBP you'd be surprised at how little you actually have to pick it up and carry it somewhere.

It seems you have your eyes set on the 15 inch. That's cool. But still have a play with them at the store. It can't hurt.

My travel to college involves a few miles of walk to the campus, so yeah it's kinna like a "50km hike" for me.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thx for the suggestions, by the way if I were to buy a old 15", how much would the discount be and can I pick it up in stores?

The availability of older models would totally depend on what's available in your country (Thailand). I'm sure that there are differences between what older models are available in the United States & Thailand.

I would have suggested you check the refurbished section of the Apple Thailand Store...but I just checked the Apple Thailand Store...and there is no refurbished section.:( You may be limited with only purchasing the current new model MacBook Pro's.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My travel to college involves a few miles of walk to the campus, so yeah it's kinna like a "50km hike" for me.

You should have mentioned that MUCH earlier in this thread!!! If you have to walk a very long distance each day...then that makes a VERY big difference when deciding which computer to purchase. In this case...of course a lighter computer is better!:)

By the way...I hope that you were joking when you said that you had "like a 50km hike"...since 50km does not equal a "few miles". 50km = 31.1 miles. At about 20 minutes/mile walking pace...it would take you 10.3 hours to walk to campus.

Maybe you meant part of your " 50km hike" was by bus, train, or car...and then a few miles walk.:)

- Nick

OP
can007
Reaction score
The availability of older models would totally depend on what's available in your country (Thailand). I'm sure that there are differences between what older models are available in the United States & Thailand.

I would have suggested you check the refurbished section of the Apple Thailand Store...but I just checked the Apple Thailand Store...and there is no refurbished section.:( You may be limited with only purchasing the current new model MacBook Pro's.

- Nick

I've seen some refurbished iPod Nanos for sale, but I don't know if whether it's the same with Macs. I'll go ask them at the shop tomorrow.

Thx for the advice :)

OP
can007
Reaction score
You should have mentioned that MUCH earlier in this thread!!! If you have to walk a very long distance each day...then that makes a VERY big difference when deciding which computer to purchase. In this case...of course a lighter computer is better!:)

By the way...I hope that you were joking when you said that you had "like a 50km hike"...since 50km does not equal a "few miles". 50km = 31.1 miles. At about 20 minutes/mile walking pace...it would take you 10.3 hours to walk to campus.

Maybe you meant part of your " 50km hike" was by bus, train, or car...and then a few miles walk.:)

- Nick
ofcourse it's a joke.. it's actually around 1.5 miles. ;D

But yeah I didn't mention about walking to college in the beginning because it's just that 1.5 miles is not that much, but I would prefer a lighter laptop to carry around.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ofcourse it's a joke.. it's actually around 1.5 miles. ;D

But yeah I didn't mention about walking to college in the beginning because it's just that 1.5 miles is not that much, but I would prefer a lighter laptop to carry around.

I could see the 1 pound difference between the 13" & 15" MacBook Pro being noticeable on a 1.5 mile walk to & from campus. Sort of like I mentioned earlier. You could put an extra 4.5 pounds into your bag (representing the 13" MBP)...and walk to/from campus with it for a couple days. Then remove that 4.5 pounds...and put an extra 5.6 pounds into your bag (representing a 5.6 pound 15" MBP)...and see how that feels for a couple days.

If you don't notice much of a difference...then get the 15" MBP (if that's what you really want). If you do notice a difference...and lighter would be better...then get the 13" MBP.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I prefer a bigger screen & a better gpu. But everyone is different. You have to decide what YOU prefer...not what others prefer.:)
Just to complicate things (it's fun doing that sometimes), I'm one who prefers a smaller screen and couldn't care less about the GPU (if it powers my second monitor, I'm happy). I do agree with this statement though - only you can decide what is better. Do you need the larger screen and better GPU?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.