Hello and help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro, Ipod touch, Iphone4, iPad2
I'm a new convert to mac and am finding it a little hard to find my feet so hello to all the members and thanks in advance for what i hope will be an invaluable source of hand-holding.

my first question is probably a basic one, i'm using safari browser and cant get to view it as a full screen layout, is this doable?

thanks very much

grant

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
well, you drag the bottom right corner to fit the screen, then the mac remembers it for next time. when you press the green button it should switch between after.

you cant currently do it completely full screen, like windows explorer does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacBook Air 16GB 1TB SSD
Today is my 2nd day with my first Mac and I may get flack here.
The first thing I installed on my Mac was Google Chrome. IT is fast lightweight. I've been using it on the PC side fior a long time.

Monty

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Start here

Particularly number 6. It'll help get you into the swing of things.

In specific to your question the green button will make the windo big enough to see the full width of the page. If you must make the browser bigger there are third party tools that allow similar functionality to the 'maximise' button on windows or just move and size the window by clicking and dragging with the bottom-right corner of the window.

It's down to personal preference but the 'Mac way' is just to have the windows as big as required for the content displayed (mostly).

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro, Ipod touch, Iphone4, iPad2
thanks for the replies, i'm getting there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
you can also make it or anything bigger by holding down your control key

and zooming in with your magic mouse.

C

chas_m

Google's Chrome is not a web browser: it is spyware. Specifically, it is a data-mining tool that tracks *everything* you do (not just browsing) disguised as a web browser.

If you're willing to trade all your remaining privacy for a 1% speed increase, I'd hate to think what you'd do for a Klondike bar. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Foil hats at the ready.........

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
Yes Google tracks you - but it doesn't need chrome to do it. Don't bother with any google product, if you are afraid of this. Don't bother with google search either. Ensure you have all javascript, java and all cross scripting blocked. Make sure you store no cookies. There are many other sites that do the same thing. Any toolbar installation, or any program installation helps them track you - but the key point is YOU DON'T NEED TO INSTALL SOFTWARE TO BE TRACKED.

This site alone has javascript and cookies from google, doubleclick, inetinteractive just to name a few. The scripting is tracking you - and if you doubt it is I get adds served from Colorado ski resorts on this site.

How to Browse the Internet Anonymously - wikiHow
Note that you need to turn off Java, Flash, and pretty much any other extension to any browser as there are plenty of ways to track you with the extensions as well.

TinFoilHatArea.jpg

I still use Chrome.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Google's Chrome is not a web browser: it is spyware. Specifically, it is a data-mining tool that tracks *everything* you do (not just browsing) disguised as a web browser.

If you're willing to trade all your remaining privacy for a 1% speed increase, I'd hate to think what you'd do for a Klondike bar. :)
Conspiracy theory no?

I challenge you to provide evidence for this claim. In fact, I'll help you on your search. Download something like HTTPScoop and run it while Chrome is running. Browse the web in Chrome and watch what HTTPScoop picks up. I will guarantee you that the HTTP requests being made by Chrome aren't any different from any other browser. If you do see differences, I'm willing to bet it's because either Instant or search suggestions are turned on, both of which are easily turned off by the user.

C

chas_m

Google makes its money by providing data about its users to advertisers. The more information they can collect about you, the more money they make.

Apple, and most of the other browser makers, do not do this.

As for evidence, you're using the wrong tool. Try Little Snitch and watch what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I use little snitch - and Chrome chirps it as much as Firefox. As for Apple - little snitch shows my Mac going out to a bunch of Apple services like locationd and time, and update as well as facetime.

Again - if you are on the web you are being tracked by someone - unless you anonymize like my link says. Then there is little chance of tracking - but who goes through that kind of hassle?

I'm not disagreeing with you - Google is tracking you. I am saying they don't need Chrome to do it. So either you take the precautions (see how deep that rabbit hole is - install noscript and cookie safe on Firefox and see just how much tracking stuff is on a single web page) or you accept you are being tracked.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If LS and an HTTP monitoring tool don't show any peculiar traffic, what else would be required to demonstrate that Chrome is no different than any other browser? Do you have any evidence from LS that would support your claim?

I agree that Google's business is built on the collection of data and I've never seen Google try to hide that fact. That said, it would be unfair to assume that all of their products are geared to one goal especially when there is no proof that this is the case. It's very possible that Google had intentions beyond data collection for building Chrome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.