Please help me solve a trackpad issue...

Reaction score
I have a month-old 13" MBP. I've noticed that the trackpad often has problems differentiating between one finger and two finger gestures. Specifically, often while attempting to scroll with two fingers, it simply moves the cursor out of position as with a typical one-finger gesture.

In playing around the with trackpad tonight, I discovered that while acting up, if I add a third finger, it senses a 'second' finger and scrolls. If I lift my fingers and put them back down, it almost always senses properly again.

FWIW, I also have a 15" unibody that my wife uses at home and that I use for presentations several times a week (i like the bigger screen for presenter notes, previews, etc.), and have been a mac laptop user for 15+ years, starting with my Powerbook Duo around '95, so I have an idea of the feel of the trackpad; not that it couldn't be me, but I don't think that it is. The settings on both the 13" and the 15" are identical, so it doesn't appear to be a settings problem.

Furthermore I've been trying to figure out some other trends with this trackpad issue and have discovered this: If my fingers are within 1/4 -3/8" of one another while two-finger scrolling, it works fine. If they are more than 1/2" apart while attempting the same, it only picks up one of the points of contact and interprets the gesture as simply moving the cursor. My 15" MBP doesn't react that way at all. I can 2-finger scroll with my fingers 2" apart and it works just fine.

So I guess my question is:

Is this most likely a hardware, software or firmware issue, and is there anything that can be reset that might help the issue? Or is it just me? Or is it just the nature of the beast?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There have been trackpad issues that either had firmware updates, and also regarding grounding issues in the past, but this sounds like a hardware issue, which I would be making and appointment with Apple Genius bar to get resolved.

Reaction score
I have a month-old 13" MBP. I've noticed that the trackpad often has problems differentiating between one finger and two finger gestures. Specifically, often while attempting to scroll with two fingers, it simply moves the cursor out of position as with a typical one-finger gesture.
I'm seeing the exact same problem with my 2011 MBP 17". Two-finger scrolling was dead reliable on my old PB so it's frustrating when this one slips out of scroll. I've tried turning off all gestures but scroll, keeping fingers out of the thumb area, keeping them close together, pressing harder, but so far nothing's worked.

Was the Genius Bar able to help?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.