Will Snow Leapord increase the system's speed?

Reaction score
Hi

Currently I own MacBook and it has got OSX 10.5.8. Thinking to upgrade it to Snow Leapord but I have gone through people's reviews on Apple's website and most of them say that it doesn't add much to 10.5.8.

I'm specifically looking for an increase in system's speed. Because some times it hangs and remains so for a long time; Safari gives me a real headache and now I've permanently switched to Firefox. So, will SL really improve the efficiency of my MacBook? Or, should I wait for the next OS version - Lion, probably?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I personally don't feel much of a difference with Snow Leopard. But if you need any motivation to upgrade to 10.6:

- generally you will get back/recover 10-20 gig of hard drive space
- 10.6 only costs $29 bucks (OS upgrades prior to 10.6 cost $99-$129)
- some newer software requires 10.6.0 or later
- it's always possible you may need to upgrade to 10.6 in order to upgrade to 10.7 Lion (but this is not confirmed)

HTH,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It really depends on your machine. If it's a Core 2 Duo, you'll gain more expansive 64-bit support, which can lead to performance increases.

If you do a clean install, formatting the hard drive, you'll eliminate any fragmentation and clean the machine up a bit, taking care of any filesystem corruption or any pent up maintenance issues which haven't been addressed.

For $29, it's kind of hard to pass up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Snow Leopard seemed faster to me than Leopard.
And whole heartedly recommend this upgrade to anyone running an Intel Mac.

However, it's going to do nothing for what you are describing.
(Unless, you go through the clean install rather than upgrade option noted by cwa107 above.)

You either have: a drive with not enough free space, not enough memory for the apps you have open, some maintenance that should be done, a dying hard drive or some combination of these.

What size is your drive and how much free space do you have?

When's the last time you reset Safari?

When's the last time you ran a maintenance app, Onyx, Maintenance or other?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.