2.5" HD in a MacPro

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro with a 2.5" 500GB Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid hard drive. I am very happy with this drive. Boot time is much quicker, and application booting and performance has noticeably increased.

People have talked about the drive being noisy and hot. I have experienced none of these side effects.

So on to my question. I am considering purchasing another 2.5" Momentus XT drive for my Mac Pro desktop to house the OS and Applications. The reason is my Laptop (2.4 Core 2 duo, 8GB 1066mhz of ram) appears to be out performing my MacPro (Dual 2.8 quad core, 8GB 800mhz of ram) in all regular, none heavy activity.

My MacPro runs better when I'm multi tracking in Logic or working on a few large photoshop files. But still regardless of the heavy use items I think it would be worth it to upgrade my MacPro too. Does anyone have an objections with running a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" adapter in a desktop? Thoughts, concerns?

Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Running a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" bracket adapter should work fine. No problem with that. However, taking a chance on another Seagate XT Hybrid drive may wind up being a bad roll of the dice. You've been lucky so far, don't push it any further.... ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.