Wireless KB and Mouse issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac powermac6.1 G4 OS 10.4.11
Hi All

thanks in advance for any replies.
I am wondering why it is Apple designed the KB and mouse so that they have to be physically turned off at the end of the day ( if as I do you believe this will save battery life )
My daughter has a mac in her room and she has trained it to shut down through voice command when she's been watching something from her high rise bunk bed, but she still has to get back down to turn the mouse and KB off.
Can anyone provide stats on the batt life that's lost if she just leaves them turned on 24/7 or do they both auto off anyway after a time of inactivity?
( If there's already something in the system to achieve this next point please direct me.)
Can anyone name an app that takes over and turns them off through software ? If this is even possible considering they have switches.
If there's no app but the potential for one maybe some writer can create what I'm sure many users might find a useful tool ?

thanks once again

regards

Sandy Mac

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The keyboard and mouse, Bluetooth versions, do go to a low-power state after some inactivity. It's probably not as good as being turned off..but I keep both my keyboard and mouse turned on all the time and usually get about 4-6 months out of the AA's for the keyboard and around 3 months on the magic mouse. These are generic AA's..I tried rechargables and they seemed to perform a little worse for me..

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Mo need to turn them off as RazOrEdge advises. Leave them on all the time, KB batteries last indefinately, Magic Mouse about two months using 6 hours per day on average. Suggest using quality batteries such as Energizer Lithium and avoid re-chargeables like the plague. They seem to develop a memory and never completely recharge alas.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
I did not know apple suggested such :) a Mac owner now since Nov '10 and have not replaced the batteries in the keyboard or Touch pad since I got them.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac powermac6.1 G4 OS 10.4.11
Hi there all

thanks for the comments and advice so far. Any other knowledge or details about this topic please keep it coming.

thanks

regards

Sandy Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
I never turn mine off, batteries seem to last for ages. Just a side note though when i purchased a track pad i stopped using my magic mouse however i needed it this one time but my imac will not accept my mouse anymore all it does is freeze the keyboard and trackpad up forcing a plug off reboot :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.