Startup Disk corrupt and needs repairing

Reaction score
I'm running as below

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.7 (10J869)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.7.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Computer Name: iMac

Recently I've been receiving 'You computer needs to be restarted', had to power off and now I'm being told the system needs to be repaired.

Is this quite common to have to run as this is the second time I've need to repair in a week, though the 'restarted' has appeared 5/6 times.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recently I've been receiving 'You computer needs to be restarted', had to power off and now I'm being told the system needs to be repaired.

Is this quite common to have to run as this is the second time I've need to repair in a week, though the 'restarted' has appeared 5/6 times.

Are you talking about the black & white screen...that says your Mac needs to be restarted in about 5 different languages?

If so...this is called a kernel panic...and is usually hardware related. Did you happen to have installed any new ram lately?

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yes, that's the one, no new RAM installed, all I have is two external USB attached and it's only started doing it recently.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like the USB connections. Disconnect and see if the kernel panic attacks continue. Also with an iMac suggest if you must run externals via USB, purchasing mains powered hubs as the iMac may not be providing sufficient power for everything you have connected,

OP
M
Reaction score
Couldn't see it being USB, I've had devices plugged in for ages. Well got home tonight and ran the Disk Utility, reported it couldn't fix it and when I tried to reboot, it wouldn't. I guess all along the disk was failing and for a first experience, this is the only Computer I've ever had go **** up on me. Apple have really gone down in my estimations, when they work, they work well, when they go wrong, they seem to really go wrong and the OS reporting is poor compared to Windows!

I hope my Time backups are working!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.