Need helping installing OS with extended monitor

Reaction score
I have a broken LCD on my 20" intel imac, and I am using an external monitor. It is mirrored at present, but I have a USB power overage problem, and it requires reinstalling the OS. I've done the SMC and PRAM. My USB doesn't work at all.

When I go to reinstall the OS the USB works, but the display reverts back to extended, and I can't see the screens to choose the correct settings for the install.

1. Is their another way to install this?
2. Is their a way to mirror the screen?
3. Is their a way to recover the OS without a new install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
On some keyboards, you can press the F7 key, or Command-F1, as a shortcut to turn video mirroring on or off.

When the installer comes up, try command F1for your mac and it should toggle between mirroring and extended display

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On some keyboards, you can press the F7 key, or Command-F1, as a shortcut to turn video mirroring on or off.

When the installer comes up, try command F1for your mac and it should toggle between mirroring and extended display

Nice one...certainly a less commonly used keyboard shortcut!:)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
f1 command for macbook

Thanks for this, but it only works on a macbook. I've purchased the snow leopard update to get me past the heavy text windows, and I've got the voice activated so I can listen to what I'm doing. This is so frustrating. Thanks for trying.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.