Software Removal

A

Ashcrow

How can I completely remove software on OS X when it has been installed via an installer (.pkg's to be exact). While I was able to do the normal drag to trash uninstall options still show up in applications and menus as if it is still present.

OP
A

Ashcrow

I cannot seem to find anything on it besides 'drag you application to the trash' and that doesn't really work. Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
This thread is like this other thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2351

So you can take a look there.. Basically like you said you just drag the application to the trash and then go into your ~username/Library folder and go through it.. or do a search for the name of the application and you'll probably find a couple files you could delete...

OP
A

Ashcrow

Thanks, but that doesn't remove the information from menus and other things unless there are other places besides the application area that I am supose to drag to the trash from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which menus and other things? They are all in different places so I need to know that info to help you out :)

Cheers!

OP
A

Ashcrow

Oops :). Things like when I right click a folder in finder I still see Toast It though I removed that software from the computer. While it doesn't hurt anything by being there it's kind of annoying, and over time I can see more and more things being added and not removed from menus like this. Another place is in the services menu, things like RBrowser are still there though the software is gone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok within your Library folder, you have a "Contextual Menus" folder.. look in there and I believe it should be there.. and you can either remove it or move it to the "Contextual Menus Disabled" folder.

Now the services menu should automatically get rid of the entries when you delete the program.. so Im not sure what's going on there.. Those programs in teh services menu that you would like to delete.. are you sure you deleted the actual program?

OP
A

Ashcrow

I can't seem to find that folder in Library:

Code:
[stevemilner@HackNET:~]$ cd /Library/
[stevemilner@HackNET:/Library]$ ls
Application Support   Filesystems           Keyboard Layouts      Preferences           Tcl
Audio                 Fonts                 Logs                  Printers              User Pictures
CFMSupport            Frameworks            Managed Preferences   QuickTime             WebServer
Caches                Image Capture         Modem Scripts         Receipts
ColorSync             Internet Plug-Ins     Mozilla               Screen Savers
Desktop Pictures      Internet Search Sites Perl                  Scripts
Documentation         Java                  PreferencePanes       StartupItems
[stevemilner@HackNET:/Library]$

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Users/username/Library/

or

cd home
cd Library

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.