MacBook Air 13'' - 4GB RAM or 256GB SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
Hello! This might be kind of a nooby question but...here goes nothing.
I recently fell in love with the Macbook Air and after hogging my bf's iMac to see if I can work with OS x I'm completly sold! So, in about 2 weeks, I'm gonna purchase a MacBook Air.
I want to buy it from ebay, mainly because I can pay with paypal and they ship to Romania (because, well, here the prices are with about 400 Euro more!!). My problem is this: will I need 4GB of RAM? I was looking to buy the 256GB upgrade because I'm pretty sure I can never have enough space on my hard drive.
But I read somewhere around that if you plan photo editing you're better of with the 4GB of RAM.
I work with 12MP raw images. Not very often and not very many (let's say max 200 for an event and up to 10 for normal days). Will it go ok with just 2GB of RAM or do I really need to go for 4?
Thank you in advance :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello! This might be kind of a nooby question but...here goes nothing.
I recently fell in love with the Macbook Air and after hogging my bf's iMac to see if I can work with OS x I'm completly sold! So, in about 2 weeks, I'm gonna purchase a MacBook Air.
I want to buy it from ebay, mainly because I can pay with paypal and they ship to Romania (because, well, here the prices are with about 400 Euro more!!). My problem is this: will I need 4GB of RAM? I was looking to buy the 256GB upgrade because I'm pretty sure I can never have enough space on my hard drive.
But I read somewhere around that if you plan photo editing you're better of with the 4GB of RAM.
I work with 12MP raw images. Not very often and not very many (let's say max 200 for an event and up to 10 for normal days). Will it go ok with just 2GB of RAM or do I really need to go for 4?
Thank you in advance :)

Normally I would say go with the larger drive over more RAM but not in this case. I assume you are looking at the new MBAs. The RAM is not upgradeable. So if you buy a 2GB model that is it, whereas the Flashdrive could be upgraded later, or you can extend by using external storage.

IMO go with 4GB and an external HDD.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2.13 Ghz, 4 Gb, 256 SSD
Thanks for the fast reply :)
I just browsed ebay a little bit and unfortunately can't find the 4GB RAM version :( I'm gonna try finding an online retailer that shipps here and sells the 4GB version.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.