MacMail RULES nightmares

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Seems sad that I have had my iMac for over two years and still don't really use its features to the optimum. Last night I tried to experiment with the "rules" in MacMail by setting an away message. Now no one I know is speaking to me, as even though I only used one test subject (dear daughter in the next room on her Airbook) the away message went out to everyone apparently who I am guessing is in my address book. And not just one - but over and over and over, apparently to every email they have sent me from antiquity.

Once again I am just not going to even attempt to use what should be a great feature and one that is so easy to use in Outlook or even on AOL. I Googled as many tuts as I could, but could not find any that were really detailed other than how to identify by colour and auto move to mailboxes.

Does anyone know how to really set up the away message without alienating friends and family alike? I am terrified to try it again.
Thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.