rEFIt keeps booting into Windows instead of Ubuntu

Reaction score
Alright, so I know almost nothing about Linux, Ubuntu, or the more advanced parts of computers in general. I've been trying to get Ubuntu 10.04 working on my MB 5.1. I made the partitions, created a linux-swap partition and formatted the main one as EXT4, the entire Ubuntu installation went off without a hitch. But now I can't seem to boot into it. Every time I do, it boots into my Win7 partition instead. I've shut down my computer completely and restarted it, and whenever I select Ubuntu in rEFIt it boots to windows instead. I've blessed the Ubuntu partition, and checked that my partition tables are synced.
One person on the Ubuntu forums posted with a similar problem a long time ago, and solved it by uninstalling and reinstalling rEFIt. No such luck for me.

I really appreciate any help with this problem, its driving me nuts. But please tell me how to find anything you need to know explicitly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If rEFIt won't boot Ubuntu it's because the partition is likely not bootable. Make sure you have GRUB installed correctly and on the right partition. I usually advise someone who wishes to use Ubuntu along with OS X to forgo creating a swap partition or one for "home" as it only adds to the complexity. You only need one partition.

Besides, the modern versions of Ubuntu run fine without a swap or home partition. I've run it that way with only 512MB of memory.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.