Happy but HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
After waiting over a year I just bought my first iMac. The 21.5" and I think I will really like it, I'mm 55 here and not too computer savy. I have a couple of questions, I am so use to using Windows system so with that being said how do I create a favorite or bookmark of a webpage? Also when I went to certain websites it said that it had a missing plug in, how do I get this solved and the last question is when I went to You Tube it said I needed to download the Adobe player update. With all this being said, it seems like I am a hopeless case! Appreciate all the help anyone can give. This is the most awesome computer, my wife bought it for me for our anniversary present!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13"
The bookmarks should be on the menu bar. Click it and your bookmarks show up along with an option to add a bookmark.

You can click bookmark menu, which will put it under the bookmarks tab, or you can click bookmark bar which will put it right below where you enter the URL (by the Apple, Popular etc).

Go here for the adobe flash latest download. Download it and restart your browser.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
You need to download and install:

Flip4Mac - this one will let you play windows media files - use the WMV player Free button on the left side

Perian - install this one while you're at it - this one will play just about all the rest of the media files you run into.

And yes, you'll need to install Flash, just like you would on any new Windows machine.

(About the same age I was when I got my first Mac, so even us old farts can figure it out, no sweat.)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
After waiting over a year I just bought my first iMac. The 21.5" and I think I will really like it, I'mm 55 here and not too computer savy. I have a couple of questions, I am so use to using Windows system so with that being said how do I create a favorite or bookmark of a webpage? Also when I went to certain websites it said that it had a missing plug in, how do I get this solved and the last question is when I went to You Tube it said I needed to download the Adobe player update. With all this being said, it seems like I am a hopeless case! Appreciate all the help anyone can give. This is the most awesome computer, my wife bought it for me for our anniversary present!

Bookmarks are a function of the Web Browser, not Operating System. By this I mean that Firefox or Opera works the same on OSX as it does on Windows. So, what you are really asking (I believe) is how do I save bookmarks in Safari (assuming that is the web browser you are using).
I don't use Safari much and I am on my iPad right now so I can't acces the menus but there is a pull down menu choice to bookmark pages. Fairly easy to find, I just can't show you right now.
As far as the Flash update (Adobe), it should have given you a link to click to do the update.
Anyway, welcome and enjoy your new Mac. We will be glad to help as much as we can.

EDIT: You guys obviously type faster than I do.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5" iMac | iPod nano | iPhone 4
ok guys thanks, what about the "missing plug-ins" on some of the websites?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
ok guys thanks, what about the "missing plug-ins" on some of the websites?

I guess we would have to know which sites and/or what plug-ins.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.