No free disk space after running erase free disk space in disk utility

Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for your help..

I'm running:
Mac OSX 10.5.8
2.2 GHz intel core 2 duo
4GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

My MacBook HD was very full so i shifted my iTunes library (5 gig) to an external HD. After deleting the file on my MacBook HD, and then running the erase free disk space in disk utility ( single and 35 pass ), I still have only 597mb of free space?????

What happened to the other 4.5gig I free'd up?

Any advice would be appreciated

stumps80

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

How did you shift?

Drag and drop the original library may still be there unless you put it in the Trash and emptied the Trash? And you really need a larger internal hard drive.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.

I shifted by changing the locality of access directory in iTunes, then organizing the library.

In deleting the old folder I have emptied the trash, and then used the disk utility as advised in other forums and threads.

Awaiting new hd, but still need to clear space in order to download sooperdooper or the like to copy data to new hard drive.

Thanks for your assistance, any other advice?

Stumps

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The erase free disk space function does not provide the function of giving you additional free space. It only overwrites existing free space to make it harder/impossible to recover previous data that was stored in that space.

If you do not have additional free space after deleting a 5GB folder, then the folder has not been deleted and/or emptied from the trash. I would suggest looking for that folder on your drive again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.