PowerBook G3 Lombard Battery

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Recently, I purchased a PowerBook G3 Lombard on eBay. The price was very reasonable, and the laptop works great: the only problem is that the battery was dead - what I expected for a 12 year old computer.

So I ordered this battery online: Laptop Battery for Apple M7318, M7385G/A, 661-2183. I received it and put it into my laptop. I left the laptop plugged in overnight and turned off so the battery could charge, as the directions included said. However, when I turned on my Mac the next morning, it didn't even detect the battery, saying there were no available batteries. So I took out the battery and put it back in. Still no luck.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Anthony

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Recently, I purchased a PowerBook G3 Lombard on eBay. The price was very reasonable, and the laptop works great: the only problem is that the battery was dead - what I expected for a 12 year old computer.

So I ordered this battery online: Laptop Battery for Apple M7318, M7385G/A, 661-2183. I received it and put it into my laptop. I left the laptop plugged in overnight and turned off so the battery could charge, as the directions included said. However, when I turned on my Mac the next morning, it didn't even detect the battery, saying there were no available batteries. So I took out the battery and put it back in. Still no luck.

Any advice?

Assuming that there's nothing wrong with the replacement battery you purchased..and that nothings wrong with the Powerbook...you may need a new PRAM battery:

OWC

HTH,

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. Is there any way to check if the PRAM battery is, for sure, faulty? I really don't want to spend the money right now to get a new PRAM battery.
Assuming that there's nothing wrong with the replacement battery you purchased..and that nothings wrong with the Powerbook...you may need a new PRAM battery:

OWC

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks Nick. Is there any way to check if the PRAM battery is, for sure, faulty? I really don't want to spend the money right now to get a new PRAM battery.

The only way to check it would be to get access to it to test it. Here's the procedure for a Powerbook G3 "Lombard":

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Repair/Installing-PowerBook-G3-Lombard-PRAM-Battery/42/1

It's very likely that the PRAM battery in your Powerbook was never replaced...and since the "Lombard" Powerbooks were first released in 1999...that battery could be close to 12 years old.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.