From XP to Windows 7 on VMware?

Reaction score
I’m trying to change the OS on my bootcamp partition (using VMware) from Windows XP to Windows 7. After having to re-format the disk from FAT32 to NTFS, I at last thought it would work. Only, I continued getting warnings about there not being enough free space (total almost 32GB with around 7GB free). I was silly enough to think this would be inconsequential as I was doing a clean install which logically would release all the space used by XP and any installed programs. But no, I had to remove a large number of programs from the old OS to free up 16GB for Windows 7.

Eventually everything appeared to work and Windows 7 was installed and opened up. Then I closed VMware down and tried to open it again only to get a message about it being unable to open the disk and the reason given as: ”The partition table on the physical disk has changed since the disk was created. Remove the physical drive from the virtual machine, then add it again.”

A bit confusing as there isn’t actually a ”physical” disk, but I right-clicked the disk, named ”Windows”, on my desktop and selected to eject it. Didn’t work even though I restarted the laptop. Instead I now have a disk image on my desktop named ”Untitled”.

Where do I go from here? All ideas greatly appreciated. Should I remove/uninstall VMware and reinstall it before, again, installing Windows 7? I’m always a bit uncomfortable with removing programs when I haven’t got a CD to use for reinstallation. I have, of course, made a note of the serial number.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I'm dreadfully confused here. Why are you trying to install Windows using VMWare? You should be installing it using your Windows 7 installation disc.

OP
M
Reaction score
Sorry - I wasn't very clear

Meant to say that I have VMware Fusion on my MBP. I've also got a Windows 7 disc that I used for the installation.

Everything appeared to work fine eventually. Had to reformat FAT32 to NTFS and uninstall a number of Windows programs in order to get 16GB free that Windows 7 demands.

Then I closed down VMware Fusion and now I get the error message when trying to open it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I still don't understand why you are using VMWare to install Windows 7 to a BootCamp partition. You need to insert the Windows 7 disc into your DVD drive and boot off that, then install like normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Were you using your Boot Camp partition with XP on it as a virtual machine from within VMWare Fusion? (That's what is sounds like you were doing.)

If the above is true, you can not update XP to Windows 7 by using VMWare Fusion. As lifeisabeach stated, you must do the update with the Windows 7 DVD. And when that is finished, you'll need to get back into Fusion, remove the XP VM and create a new one for Win 7 by once more using the Boot Camp partition as a VM.

What you're attempting to do will lead to the destruction of both your XP VM and the BC installation.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.