What is xml parsing error and how do I fix it?

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am a pretty desperate here. I am trying to import a XML file from a Easy Grade Pro software (I am a teacher), so I can manipulate it in Excel. Every time I try to open it I get the "Strict Parse Error" and then on the bottom it says errors are listen in. Mac Hardrive;private;var;folders;mr.mrPg6rnGEp083t43cEFkc++++TI:TemporaryItems:htmlErr.log

Tried to find this but couldn't. I have ton of things I need to import and this error is stopping it from happening.

How do I fix it?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
To get to the log, open up Finder, press Command-Shift-G and enter /private/var/folders/mr.mrPg6rnGEp083t43cE Fkc++++TI/TemporaryItems. The reason you can't find it otherwise is because that directory is hidden by default.

I'm not familiar with the software but if you post the contents of that log file, we may be able to figure out what the issue is.

OP
D
Reaction score
O.k. found the file

XML PARSE ERROR: Null or missing attribute value
Error occurs at or below this element stack:
(Stack is empty--error occurs at or below top-level element.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Hmmm, not a very helpful error message...

I was just browsing their website and noticed that they have a Mac version of the software. Is it possible to get a copy of that through the school/board and use that insted of using Excel? There's also a web based version.

OP
D
Reaction score
I actually have the software. Unfortunately to actually input grades for report cards, the school uses an massive excel spreadsheet. So we need to export from Grade Keeper into Excel in order to send the school the grades. It's annoying but the software easy grade pro allows you to export to xml. It just seems every time I try to open it it won't let me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Assuming you don't have too many students, it might be easier to do this by hand as opposed to a continued struggle with Excel.

If you want to figure this out, what version of Excel do you have? You could also look at these instructions which suggest exporting to a text file and copying that into the spreadsheet (it does it for names and I assume you can do it for grades as well).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.