help.....new mac user today...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 11inch, Ipod touch 8gigs 4th+Iphone 3GS, Ipod nano 1.1
hi.. everyone.....today i purchased a new mac book pro 11.6 inches....and its an amazing machine...

now there are some queries that needs to be solved.i bought it in hurry from dubai and didnt had time to learn as i had to board the flight....
plz help...!!!!

1) where is the delete button i put some pics in mac using iphoto and want to del some of them but couldnot.
2)how can i find my local drive as in windows like local disk(c):
3)if i close the lid does computer sleeps.....like in case if i am downloading something through torrent and if i close the lid will it stop downloading....as in case with windows we can do (closing the lid:do nothing)
4)where can i find general info on my mac ....operating system, memory left....
5)how can i put a new folder on desktop and put some stuff on it....
6)where is right click
7)why cannot i maximize the window bcoz when i click the green button it doesnt goes to full screen when i open system preferences..
8)what is idisk
9)can i extract songs from ipod to mac....if yes how..?
10) i want to connect it to adhoc network through a windows pc.....in windows i created a new adhoc network....turned on internet connection sharing....then in mac tried to connect but says connection failed....
11)some important softwares for mac like a good player, adobe etc....
12) how can i delete something from my dock.....
13) what is time machine.
14)can i split the drive into two like one with mac stuff and in other songs...i only have left around 48gb left....
15) is it neccesary to put the movies in movies music in music...etc under the places and my name...
16)how can i transfer the pictures from iphoto library to usb drive...

thanking you...will let u know if anything new comes up....and thanks for ur help....and plz help me with 10) query as it is important and i want to connect it to internet and i dont have wifi...

thank you...all the moderators in advance, had helped before plz help now....

a happy family member to mac world...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
1) cmd + backspace is the shortcut for delete.
2) your local drive is in finder, called "Macintosh HD"
3) yes it will stop downloading.
4) activity monitor (in utilities folder) and by selecting the hard drive "macintosh HD", then hitting cmd + i
5) right click/control click on desktop - new folder....
6) in system preferences - mouse - you need to turn it on
7) move it to full screen and it will remember it for next time
8) its part of mobile me, a wireless subscription service
9) a program called Expod or Detune
10) have you turned airport on?
11) VLC, Flash player, etc
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/sw...ommended-free-apps-download-your-new-mac.html
12) drag it off
13) its a backup utility, for use with an external drive.
14) yes, through disk utility, but there is really no need, unless you want to install windows, in which case you use Bootcamp
15) not necassarily, but it is tidier, and more organised.
16) in iPhoto, select Export...

hope this helps.

alot of your questions can be explained fuller if you have a browse around the forum, there is a lot of great info on here. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
And welcome to Mac-Forums!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hey....thank you very much...now i am getting to it.....thanx......

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thats alright :)

C

chas_m

1) where is the delete button i put some pics in mac using iphoto and want to del some of them but couldnot.

The delete button on the MacBook Air is at the upper right corner of the keyboard. Simply select the picture you want to delete, then press the delete key.

3)if i close the lid does computer sleeps.....like in case if i am downloading something through torrent and if i close the lid will it stop downloading....as in case with windows we can do (closing the lid:do nothing)

It will PROBABLY stop downloading but really it would be a *much better practice* to quit (not close, QUIT) running programs BEFORE putting the MBA to sleep. In my experience, people who do NOT close active programs before putting Macs to sleep *tend* to be the ones who have issues with sleep.

4)where can i find general info on my mac ....operating system, memory left....

Apple menu, "About this Mac." Remember that "memory" is RAM and "hard drive space" is something entirely different, so what you seem to really be asking is "how can I tell how much hard drive space is left," in which case the answer is "it's at the bottom of every Finder window."

5)how can i put a new folder on desktop and put some stuff on it....

The same way you would do it in Windows: command-n for new folder, drag content into it.

Again, however, putting folders on the desktop is a BAD PRACTICE and should be discouraged. It slows down the machine and IME can lead to directory problems if abused (tons of stuff on the desktop). Think of the desktop as (at best) a TEMPORARY rest stop for downloaded files until they can be put away properly. Rely on your Home folder (put an alias of it in your Dock to make things easier) as the proper place to store things.

7)why cannot i maximize the window bcoz when i click the green button it doesnt goes to full screen when i open system preferences..

That's correct. The Mac is not a Windows machine. Get used to it.

In fact, being able to access things in the background AND having a unified, constant menubar is a MUCH MUCH BETTER way to do things, but it will take you a little while to get used to it. Trust me, you will find it superior eventually.

8)what is idisk

Google search: Apple - MobileMe - Access and share files from anywhere.
It is part of MobileMe. An extra, paid service -- but highly recommended.

9)can i extract songs from ipod to mac....if yes how..?

You'll need a third-party program that (I assume) can read windows-formatted iPods. I recommend Pod to Mac ($20).

10) i want to connect it to adhoc network through a windows pc.....in windows i created a new adhoc network....turned on internet connection sharing....then in mac tried to connect but says connection failed....

You're doing it wrong way round. Establish the internet connection through the MBA, then use IT to share the internet connection to the Windows machine ... works MUCH easier.

11)some important softwares for mac like a good player, adobe etc....

Since you mentioned torrenting earlier, I'm just gonna say this once and not make any judgements or presumptions. Don't pirate software ... it's the #1 source of malware for the Mac, and hurts the developer community.

The best source for Mac software is the Mac App Store. I also love MacUpdate, who are having a "bundle" sale at the moment. Do check them out.

12) how can i delete something from my dock.....

click and drag it upwards.

13) what is time machine.

Google search: Apple - Mac OS X - What is Mac OS X - Time Machine

14)can i split the drive into two like one with mac stuff and in other songs...i only have left around 48gb left....

CAN you? Yes. SHOULD you? No. If your iTunes library is too large for the hard drive, either get a bigger hard drive or split your library so that some of it can reside on an external drive (ie not be accessible 100% of the time).

15) is it neccesary to put the movies in movies music in music...etc under the places and my name...

Yes and no. It is not mandatory, but it is HIGHLY recommended as the correct place for apps to "find" your collections. If you're not going to put them there, put them on an external hard drive.

16)how can i transfer the pictures from iphoto library to usb drive...

1. Select the photos you wish to "export."
2. Drag them to the mounted USB drive.
3. There's no step 3, you are done.

See what I mean about being able to see things in the background being a better idea? :)

thanking you...will let u know if anything new comes up....and thanks for ur help....and plz help me with 10) query as it is important and i want to connect it to internet and i dont have wifi...

Well then GET wi-fi. A cheaper wireless router costs maybe $20. The MacBook Air has an ethernet port, but really that sort of defeats the purpose of having a portable.

Finally, I can't recommend these resources strongly enough:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/208133-sage-advice-new-mac-switcher.html

Apple - Support - Switch 101

Apple - Support - Mac 101

Please read all three of these THOROUGHLY, and also consult the built in "Mac Help" in the Help menu in Finder.

Enjoy!

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thank you tonnes......now i find it not that hard or complex.......just need to understand my hands on with applications and i am done....but connecting internet is problem.

i use usb modem internet

C

chas_m

Glad to hear you are making progress!

When you say "usb modem internet" I think you mean a cellular modem, yes?

If so, you would be best off getting one that is Mac compatible. Many are, but not all of them.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes....it is micromax mmx 300c modem...
it works on window machine but not working on mac.....
is there an converter for .exe to .dmg
and how can i connect still no help...

i am using this modem on windows machine and using net on that....now i want to create an adhoc network to connect it to mac but it says connection failed..(it searches for that network on airport but does not connect to it..)
thank u!

C

chas_m

I'm afraid I know nothing about creating an ad-hoc network on the PC other than "yes, it can be done" IF the PC has a wireless card installed, so I can't be much help there.

As for the USB modem -- is there no way that can be exchanged for one that works with Macs?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there an converter for .exe to .dmg

nope, they are programmed for different operating systems. (also they are completely different file types, one is an executable, while the other (dmg) is a disk image.) to use .exe files you need to either install windows, or buy a program like crossover (which doesnt always work.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Buy a copy of Macbook for Dummies! Well worth the price.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.