Fresh install

Reaction score
Hi, I am a beginner with macs as i am used to windows but have a problem. After a couple of years use my macbook has become very slow, I have tried lots of tips found online but really feels its time to get a fresh install and start again.
The trouble is i either cant find my os disk, Or it didn't come with one.
Where can i get another from and do i need a product key? Also
Do i need the same version, Or can i upgrade to a more efficient version? (On my pc going from vista to windows 7 was the best thing i ever did.)

I currently have Mac os x Version 10.5.8

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks, Ok i think i'd be better with the full version right? And not the upgrade version?

Is it alot better than what i have now? Easy to Install?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is only one retail version - this is not Windows - $29 full install or an in place upgrade install is available from the disc.

A lot better???? It is faster than Leopard. Most of us think it is better. Easy for some, not easy for some. There are plenty of tutorials online you can find with a quick google search.

You should make sure you have a backup in place prior to installing 10.6.
I'd recommend Time Machine, SuperDuper! or CarbonCopyCloner - after you have a backup, do a clean install via erase and install then use Migration Assistant to pull your stuff back over from your backup.

Before you do all of that, what size is your OS X partition and how much free space do you have?

OP
M
Reaction score
Brilliant, My hard drive is 150GB. So im planning to just move my work to a external HDD then format the drive and load this snow lepoard?

I think i saw something about putting the disk in and holding C? Or should i do as you say and install via erase? (Im not sure how to do this)

Thanks for your help!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Only one of many tutorials online.

Clean install of Snow Leopard

When you get to the links in the directions to choose between Erase, Format and Partition - choose the Format link. (You do not need to do the security measure of zeroing the drive out though since you're not selling the machine.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.