Skype says no to working on a private network

Reaction score
All colleagues are using Skype but when i start it it tells me Skype cannot run of a private network which sounds crazy. Does anyone know a fix for this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Are you in fact trying to run it from a closed or private network? Do you use a proxy to access the internet?

OP
S
Reaction score
No i don't think so - no special proxy used. i'm using Safari in the normal way. A skype caller just sees me as offline and skype tells me i'm offline when in fact the airport shows online as normal and all other internet functions are normal.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming you've got Skype setup correctly...

There's something else going on. Check with your ISP to see if there are any restrictions they may have in place. You don't really have control over what type of network you're on (except of course for a private home network).

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I found this fix on the Skype Community forum.

1. Go under Skype preferences then advance.
2. Uncheck the first box use Skype to access Wi-Fi hotspots.
3. Close preferences
4. Under File go to Skype Access (Wi-Fi)...
5. Pop-up box comes up asking would you like to enable Skype Access? click OK

Looks like from the thread I found, one of the updates is changing preferences and a bunch of folks using Macs are having the same issue.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.