Mac mini or macbook pro

Reaction score
I am building an entertainment/main computer center. I have an iPad and apple tv to use also. This will be used as our home only home computer. I am curious as to whether get the MacBook pro or wait till a possible mac mini upgrade. I am getting one in May fro graduation so I do have a time constraint. I just know once I put the upgraded ram and hardrive in the Mac mini the new cheapest MacBook pro is not too much more expensive. I'm just worried that the pro may get too hot sitting in the entertainment center.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The Mac mini… easily. It would take up far less space, and there are even specialized mounting kits for it, so you could put it out of the way. Here's one, for example, that replaces the accessible base cover with something that mounts on the wall, or under a shelf.

Obviously you'd still need to buy a keyboard, mouse, and monitor, additional expenses you wouldn't HAVE to spend with the MacBook, but then I for one would find using a MacBook as my regular computer to be rather confining with its keyboard and monitor sizes. I would try to wait for the next update to the mini, since it's almost certainly getting the ThunderBolt port and a much better chipset/gpu.

Reaction score
What are you going to use the system for? Is it going to be portable, or completely stationary? Do you already have a monitor for it? For $850 you can get a refurbished Mini Server with dual 500GB 7200RPM drives and built-in HDMI output. That's the exact system I'm running as my HTPC and it works great. You can pay for the screen of the MBP, but if you don't need it, it's really just wasted money, plus you don't get the extra storage if you're going to record any video (I record via EyeTV on mine). The GPU on the new mini has given me no problems whatsoever, either.

If you want to be surfing on the sofa or have the option to take it on trips, then obviously the MBP would make the better choice.

Have fun choosing.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

OP
C
Reaction score
It would be hooked up to my 50" TV. It would not go anywhere. I am just curious about if I'm gonna have to wait 6 months or more for the new Mac mini. My graduation is in May so I guess I could just get a gift card. I have the iPad for just surfing plus I already have a wireless keyboard. Plus, if I traveled I plan to remote in using my iPad anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It would be hooked up to my 50" TV. It would not go anywhere. I am just curious about if I'm gonna have to wait 6 months or more for the new Mac mini. My graduation is in May so I guess I could just get a gift card. I have the iPad for just surfing plus I already have a wireless keyboard. Plus, if I traveled I plan to remote in using my iPad anyway.

Well the Mac mini was last refreshed in June 2010, so it should be due very soon for an update. It has gone as long as a year and half in between updates, but typically it's been less than a year. If you are quite certain you don't need the portability of a laptop, then you should find the mini to be worth the wait. Leaving a laptop connected to another monitor/TV full-time has some challenges, not the least of which is the need to leave the display propped up a bit to keep it from going to sleep. I do believe there are workarounds for that though.

But one other thing I would certainly look at is a cooling base for a laptop if you go that route. My 2008 MBP would leave the top of my desk warm when operated on that for a short time. I wouldn't want to leave it there permanently without extra cooling help.

OP
C
Reaction score
Alright well I guess I'll wait for the mini then. Thanks for the help!!

I don't really find anyone discussing the Mac mini online. It doesn't seem to be very popular. Do you all think Mac will even upgrade it at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright well I guess I'll wait for the mini then. Thanks for the help!!

I don't really find anyone discussing the Mac mini online. It doesn't seem to be very popular. Do you all think Mac will even upgrade it at all?

They did a major re-design of it last year, including adding a long-requested HDMI port for HTPC enthusiasts. I doubt they are going to up and abandon it now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.