iMac superdrive problem.........

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 2009 20" imac. it seems there was a problem with the superdrive and a disc i stuck in it. Upon restarting the computer it makes a loud clicking sound but I cannot hear anything in the drive and there is not an icon on screen showing a disc is in it. I tried installing another disc and would not go in. Is there an easy way to replace this drive or am I going to need to bite the dust and have Apple repair it? I am using an external drive right now but would love to have the onboard drive working.
Thanks for any help

Frank

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Take a look at the following video to see if it helps you remove the stuck disk in the drive. LINK

Once you get the disk out, use a can of compressed air to blow out the drive. Use several short blasts. It's possible the drive is dirty. If it still persists and doesn't work, it'll have to be replaced. Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up the instructions for changing out the disk drive. It's a fairly difficult task to change out the optical drive on an iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.