my macbook pro wont start up

Reaction score
today i decided to use Onyx and found outmy hard drive is corrupted. so i put in my install disc and restarted my computer but all i got was a white screen with the apple logo and a loading thing under it for 3 hours. realising it didbt want to start i restarted and attempted to safe boot it but i just got the same screen. then i decided to safe boot it but press shift command and v. the screen turned black abd some codes started to appear. 10 seconds later the codes stopped and the screen stayed like that for an hour. with bothing left to do i held down d when my computer started to do a hardware check but it just went to the screen with the apple logo. what do i do?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like your hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced. You didn't mention which model MBP you have but you should be able to find a new hard drive on line or from a local reseller.

The big question here is... have you been making backups? Without a backup all your data may be lost.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
As chscag has pointed out, without knowing the model of your mac we cannot really point you to any specific internal drives to replace your current one. But if you can get one with a usb enclosure included or even separate then you may be able to recover some of your files and folders.

- Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Sounds like he has more than hard drive problems if it won't boot to disk either. First step would be to try the boot disk in another machine to make sure it isn't damaged. If another machine can read it, try booting your machine with an external drive (optical or hard drive) and make sure the optical drive in the laptop is working correctly. My guess is one of these two is at fault.

As far as the hard drive, as chscag pointed out....I hope you have been backing up.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.