Syncing mail between two computers and iPhone

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a Finnish user having a MacPro and a MacBook, along with recently bought iPhone. So far I've been using os X mail to get my email to the computer, but the computers haven't been synced so every email has arrived to both machines.

This has been a pretty frustrating way, because due to my work I get about 20 mails per day and now I have two separate folder structures and it causes me extra trouble to move the mail to correct folders. Now that I bought the iPhone I actually have a third system.

I tried to search for advise about syncing the mail of the two computers and possibly the iPhone as well, but had to give up and ask for help. It'd be wonderful if I could have the mails synced so that using one computer to move an email to a folder would result in the same thing in the other system as well. Is there any software for this? I'm not a big fan of extra annual costs so maybe a free one? I also want the recipient to see the name of my company (and it's email address) as the sender instead of e.g. gmail. Is this possible?

Thank you so much!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Check to see whether your work email provides the IMAP protocol. If so, then switch to IMAP and your mail will automatically be sorted on every device when you make a change on a single device. So if you check a new message on one device, it'll be marked read on the other two automatically. If you move a message, it'll be moved on the other two.

If you're using Gmail, then you can enable IMAP in the Gmail settings, and then make the appropriate changes on your devices.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you so much for your reply! I checked the info about the work mail and it says POP/IMAP so obviously IMAP is supported. However, this is not really my strong area so I don't quite understand how this works in practise.

At the moment I am using OS X mail so do you mean that if I select IMAP both computers will have the same folder structure and moving a mail in one system will move it in the other one as well? I guess the computers need to be synced in some way? How do I turn the IMAP on? What happens with the folders I've already created on the two computers, and also the partly different mails I have stored in them?

I'm sorry for the stupid questions but I really don't know anything about this and it would be just amazing to get this sorted out. Thank you!!

Edit: I read about IMAP and understand it a bit better now. Currently I don't have very much room at the server so using IMAP would mean that I'd need to buy much more room. Obviously OS X mail would then show what's stored in the sever? Buying more room from my current provider would cost 70-80 euros a year, is there any other alternative? It's not a big budget annually but there are already so many annual costs I'm not sure if I want to get another one running :)

If I kept using POP would the only way to sync the mail in two machines be MobileMe? I've also heard about GoogleSync but don't know if it'd work and if it'd let me show the name of my company email as the sender address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.