• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Using a macbook for security surveillance

Reaction score
So long story short I think my roommate is stealing stuff from my room. I have started locking my door, but would like to catch him in the act.

I don't have a separate camera to record anything, but is it possible to use the web cam built into the macbook.

Is there a program that could record all day and I could just skim through it to see footage or any sign of intrusion

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
The webcam on the MB is kind of a bit obvious because it lights up when it is in use.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
The webcam on the MB is kind of a bit obvious because it lights up when it is in use.

put a tiny piece of tape over the light, set up imovie to record, then dim the screen. you might be waiting a while, so it could take up quite a bit of space.

on another note, if he/she steals the macbook, you are screwed.

Reaction score
put a tiny piece of tape over the light, set up imovie to record, then dim the screen. you might be waiting a while, so it could take up quite a bit of space.

on another note, if he/she steals the macbook, you are screwed.

Yeah no kidding. Lmao

Reaction score
bball, there is a program out there that will transmit video/sound from your Mac to your iphone(if you have one). It also has push notification settings if it detects movement in the room(or sound)it will notify you so you can check out what is going on. I don't recall the name of it off hand - I have it on my iphone though and have used it in the past- works great. I use it as a baby-cam for keeping an eye on the kid, or like you said, I've used it to keep an eye on house cleaners/baby-sitters. No one notices the camera is on, on the mac. If you would like to know the program, just let me know and I'll give you more info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.