IMac wont boot with any type of OSX connected

Reaction score
Not really sure how to word my issue in the title.

What I mean is that my machine will not boot if there is an external HD with a CCC back up on it OR if I have an external HD with an OSX (different ver) loaded on it OR if the OSX install disk is in the optical DVD drive.:Grimmace:

Basically I want to put my current 10.5.8 on to an external HD and clean my current internal HD and load 10.6

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't have much hair left after pulling most of it out.:|

Thanks a bunch
Swoops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
After you backup your current stuff to the external, just unplug the external, insert your SL disc, restart your computer and hold the "C" button to boot from the SL disc.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry forgot to say that I am somewhat new to the mac environment - 1 - what is SL disk? 2 - is this something I am going to have to do every time I reboot the machine - like after updates or I turn it on???

Thanks
Swoops

Sorry - specs to follow:

IMac 7.1
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
3 GB Ram
500 GB HD

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
What do you mean it won't boot? That's a little vague. What does it do?

SL = Snow Leopard = OS X 10.6

System Preferences - Startup Disc - Pick the one you want to be the default startup.

OP
S
Reaction score
Sorry, my frustrations are getting the best of me..

IF the machine is rebooted or started up and I have my Western Digital 1TB Firewire 800 external HD attached or turned on - OR - I happen to have an OSX install disk 10.5? or 10.6? the machine turns on and stops at hangs at the apple logo splash screen.
If there is no external HD attached or turned on or any install disk in the DVD optical drive it starts just fine.

Hope this helps

Swoops

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
First, let's try this: Reset the PRAM - NVRAM see this LINK for instructions. It sounds like your machine is confused over what should be the startup disk. If the PRAM - NVRAM reset doesn't work, let us know. If it works, you should be able to proceed using CCC to clone your HDD to the external and install Snow Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.