Keyboard shortcut to activate Excel cell for editing

Reaction score
Hi
I use Excel frequently and I'd like to be able to quickly edit the contents of a cell without double-clicking to activate the text cursor. Is there a keyboard shortcut for this. The idea is that I could rapidly navigate between and edit a series of cells without having to touch the mouse. Note that it is possible to overwrite the contents of a cell without the mouse: that is, move using the arrow keys and then just type over a highlighted cell. but that's not what i want....
thanks!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Do you mean like cntrl+u?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 13" MBP 2.3 Ghz Intel Core i5 4GB RAM
Hi
I use Excel frequently and I'd like to be able to quickly edit the contents of a cell without double-clicking to activate the text cursor. Is there a keyboard shortcut for this. The idea is that I could rapidly navigate between and edit a series of cells without having to touch the mouse. Note that it is possible to overwrite the contents of a cell without the mouse: that is, move using the arrow keys and then just type over a highlighted cell. but that's not what i want....
thanks!

back in windows you simply press F2 on the cell you want to edit the text with

with mac you simple press fn+F2. because if you press F2 you would normally increase your screen's brightness. or to remove this option go to System Preference > Keyboard and check Use F1, F2, etc. as standard function keys

HTH.. cheers!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.