help with ipad 1

Reaction score
I have some questions about ipad 1 uses:

1. I have some PDF files I want to transfer to the ipad--how do I go about doing that?

2. will the PDFs automatically be able to open on the ipad? I did download a PDF viewer--is the viewer smart enough to recognize all the PDFs in the ipad and then incorporate it in the files, or do I have to manually do that?

3. I am having trouble transferring stuff at will from my computer to the ipad...and the only ipad controller i have on my computer is a little icon when I open itunes--am I missing something?

4. is it easy to delete or transfer stuff from the ipad back to my computer? i have a kid so I have lots of books and games and other stuff I would like to shuffle back and forth between my computer and the ipad--is this possible? ditto for music files...i want to transfer some but not all of them, and I would like to swap which ones I have on the ipad.

5. is there a screen cover I can get so the ipad can work better outdoors? If so, any suggestions?

6. the ibooks app seems much better than kindle in terms of how the pages can be turned etc... is the ibooks app the best for books you think?

7. how does garageband work on the ipad 1?

thanks!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
First of all I would reccommend doing a forum search because there have been a number of threads touching many of these topics.
I have some questions about ipad 1 uses:

1. I have some PDF files I want to transfer to the ipad--how do I go about doing that?
This depends on the APP you are using. I have several PDF capable APPS and they are all different and many have multiple ways to transfer PDF files. For that matter you can view and manage PDFs with iBooks.

2. will the PDFs automatically be able to open on the ipad? I did download a PDF viewer--is the viewer smart enough to recognize all the PDFs in the ipad and then incorporate it in the files, or do I have to manually do that?
a) Yes, PDF viewing is pretty seamless on the iPad (depending on the APP you are using).
b) No is the short answer to the second part of your question. See my response to your next question more more detail.

3. I am having trouble transferring stuff at will from my computer to the ipad...and the only ipad controller i have on my computer is a little icon when I open itunes--am I missing something?
??? Not sure what you mean by this. The iPad isn't a secondary storage device. You transfer data and files to it for use in APPs. Each APP has it's own transfer methods, and most I have seen are fairly easy.
If you are having problems, you need to be more specific and we may be able to help. We need to know what the APP is and what you are trying to accomplish.

4. is it easy to delete or transfer stuff from the ipad back to my computer? i have a kid so I have lots of books and games and other stuff I would like to shuffle back and forth between my computer and the ipad--is this possible? ditto for music files...i want to transfer some but not all of them, and I would like to swap which ones I have on the ipad.
You can directly manage what you sync to your iPad through iTunes, just takes some time and practice.

5. is there a screen cover I can get so the ipad can work better outdoors? If so, any suggestions?
Yes. Not sure how well it works. There is a least one thread that I have seen discussing this question.

6. the ibooks app seems much better than kindle in terms of how the pages can be turned etc... is the ibooks app the best for books you think?
Opinions vary. I prefer the iBooks APP but buy most of my books from Kindle Store (so use Kindle APP more)

Very well, though instrument selection appears to be limited

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks for the reply...about the PDF's, I have some lonely planet books in a PDF format. I want to transfer them to my ipad, but have no idea how.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
thanks for the reply...about the PDF's, I have some lonely planet books in a PDF format. I want to transfer them to my ipad, but have no idea how.
Are they DRM free?
If so transfer is easy. For viewing in iBooks all you have to do is open iTunes and in the left hand panel click on Books, then drag and drop your PDFs (or ePubs) into that window. The next time you sync your iPad they will transfer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
I would also suggest you get a DropBox account (free) and buy the GoodReader App for the AppStore.

You can then upload stuff to you DropBox and download them to the iPad though the GoodReader App whenever you need them. Works like a charm and I use the heck out of it for all my work PDFs. Good Reader will enable you to open much more than PDFs as well it is one of my most used Apps on both my iPad and iPad2.

Cheers,

M

C

chas_m

The answer for 1 is "drop the PDFs into iTunes." The answer for 2 is "iTunes will automatically put the PDFs into iBooks for you. Easy-peasy.

I'm not sure what you mean, but the iPad should show up under iTunes in the left-hand column under "Devices." Highlight it there and everything else should become obvious.

4. is it easy to delete or transfer stuff from the ipad back to my computer? i have a kid so I have lots of books and games and other stuff I would like to shuffle back and forth between my computer and the ipad--is this possible?

No. The iPad syncs with iTunes. Everything it gets, it gets from iTunes (unless you buy something from the store, which then syncs with your computer). You can't use iPad apps on the computer, even though the files are stored there. E-Books are a different story -- basically the answer there is "it depends."

ditto for music files...i want to transfer some but not all of them, and I would like to swap which ones I have on the ipad.

You control all of this through iTunes. I suggest making a "smart playlist" of songs to be swapped out each time you sync.

Yes, it's called "turn away from the sun." :)

There are matte screen covers that reduce the reflection, but can't eliminate it as the sun is a very powerful light source. I am a friend of shade so I never have this problem.

You can have both, so why not have both?

I'm told that it can, but it's not recommended (kinda slow).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.