What type of RAM - MBP?

Reaction score
I'm very new to the Mac world (loving it so far!) and I'm curious... does any RAM work with the Macbook Pro (13 inch, 2011)? Meaning, if I get rid of my desktop PC, which I'm considering, can I remove the RAM in there and add it to my MBP? How easy would it be; are there instructions online?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Moved post to it's own thread. Was not relevant to thread it was posted in.

Probably not. Short on time here, but someone will come along to guide you on the way I'm sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
Desktop RAM will most likely not work in a portable. Chips for desktop systems are usually twice as long as chips for portables. My best suggestion for RAM is to check out OtherWorld Computing (macsales.com) and they can assist you in selecting the right RAM for your system. RAM technology changes nearly as quickly as computer architectures. RAM that worked in last year's MacBook Pros isn't compatible with 2011 models. For instructions to replace RAM, I'd check out iFixit.com for step by step instructions, although OtherWorld is pretty good about sending good instructions with the RAM they sell too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
Desktop RAM will most likely not work in a portable. Chips for desktop systems are usually twice as long as chips for portables. My best suggestion for RAM is to check out OtherWorld Computing (macsales.com) and they can assist you in selecting the right RAM for your system. RAM technology changes nearly as quickly as computer architectures. RAM that worked in last year's MacBook Pros isn't compatible with 2011 models. For instructions to replace RAM, I'd check out iFixit.com for step by step instructions, although OtherWorld is pretty good about sending good instructions with the RAM they sell too.
Good advice. The OP can also download and run MacTracker to see what his (her?) computer can support.

Mactracker

Reaction score
If you have a new 2011 MBP, then the small manual that came with it shows you precisely how to go about replacing the RAM. There's absolutely nothing to it.
icon_smile_thumbup.gif

Regarding getting the RIGHT RAM, Crucial also has a RAM finder on the front page of their site that will get you to exactly what you need which, if you have a 2011 MBP, is this:

8GB Kit (4GBx2), 204-pin SODIMM, DDR3 PC3-10600 upgrades for Apple MacBook Pro 2.7GHz Intel Core i7 (13-inch DDR3) Early-2011 Laptop/Notebook, CT1895186 from Crucial.com

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Wow, judging by those prices, Apple earns quite a bit of profit when upgrading via them, huh?

That's why we usually recommend NOT getting ram upgrades from Apple...but to do it yourself, and get the ram from one of these guys:

- OWC
- Crucial.com

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
One other thing...

You likely already know this, but just in case...if you are going to replace your own RAM, you will need a T6 torx screwdriver to remove the back panel. You can pick one up online or at Sears or most hardware stores, but it could be frustrating to have your RAM and not be able to install it when it gets there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
One other thing...

You likely already know this, but just in case...if you are going to replace your own RAM, you will need a T6 torx screwdriver to remove the back panel. You can pick one up online or at Sears or most hardware stores, but it could be frustrating to have your RAM and not be able to install it when it gets there.

My 2011 mbp's both have 00 phillips screws not torx.

Reaction score
My 2011 mbp's both have 00 phillips screws not torx.

Doh! You are entirely correct! That must have been the replacing of the hard drive that I was thinking at the time. I'm recovering from strep, so I'll blame it on that!
icon_redface.gif

I'm glad you caught that and I hope the OP sees it b4 rushing out to buy a torx
eusa_doh.gif

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.