Windows on an iBook G3

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me please if it is possible to run Microsoft Windows on an Apple iBook G3? Basically, it's an old machine that I keep and use in my workshop garage, I need Windows to run some automotive windows based electronic databases/catalogs.
I have access to a Microsoft Windows XP and Vista installation disc. I also have Boot Camp 1.4 Beta, but have been told that this is only for Intel based Macs.
Appreciate any thoughts and comments before I purchase a new machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would say for all practical purposes that trying to run Windows on an G3 iBook wouldn't be worth the trouble. There are some OLD Windows emulation programs...but they are slow slow slow! You would be better off finding an older used Windows laptop for $100...and running XP on it.

Bootcamp...as you mentioned...requires an Intel based Mac (which an iBook G3 is not).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Correct. Boot Camp, and the virtual machine programs (Parallels, Fusion and VirtualBox) all require an Intel-based Mac. It is seriously not worth the effort to run it in an emulator on a G3. You will be jumping off buildings very quickly. Not useable at all. Sorry!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.