Mac Pro on 4 1080p DVI

Reaction score
Hello all,

For a project at work I need to output to four 1080p projectors in extended desktop mode, while still having a decent graphics performance. Now that is a lot of pixels (4 * 1920 x 1080), and I was wondering if I could do it with a Mac Pro and two ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards. The computer will be bought just for this installation and therefore I need to be absolutely sure that it make it. Anyone has any experience working with this kind of pixel area?

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not a Mac Pro user but according to Apple LINK Two HD 5770s should be able to handle it.

Projectors for all practical purposes, are considered as display devices so what you intend to do with the Mac Pro should work. You might want to hang on and receive additional replies from some of our more experienced Mac Pro users.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply chscag. I had seen that page also. My doubt is whether it can make 1080p and still have a good performance.

For example, one mac mini can output to two monitors at full hd, but the frame rate sucks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The ATI Radeon 5700 "should" give you the type of performance you're looking for at 1080p. But let's see what Harry and Nick have to say as they know more about that then I do.

Also, I'm assuming you intend to use good quality DLP projectors which are fully capable of displaying 1080p.

OP
G
Reaction score
The projectors are for sure 1080p. They'll be used to project on a 25m-long wall at an important event.

I will be waiting for further comments. Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hello all,

For a project at work I need to output to four 1080p projectors in extended desktop mode, while still having a decent graphics performance. Now that is a lot of pixels (4 * 1920 x 1080), and I was wondering if I could do it with a Mac Pro and two ATI Radeon HD 5770 cards. The computer will be bought just for this installation and therefore I need to be absolutely sure that it make it. Anyone has any experience working with this kind of pixel area?

Many thanks.

Looking at the link that "Chscag" provided...each of those 5770 cards can support THREE displays. So two 5770's could support up to SIX displays. Each card has two mini-display ports, and a dual-link DVI port.

As far as performance. Mac Pro's are Apples top of the line computer...and with those 5770 video cards...if this setup can't do it...than nothing Apple sells can!;)

You could always test it out. Apple has a 14 day return policy...so you have two weeks to test.

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I think I'm going forward with the experiment and I'll post the results back here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.