Frequent 'corrupt image' messages when d/l?

Reaction score
As completely new to Mac guy I need quite a bit of new software. But about half the time when I download, it goes through all the motions without a hint of problems, then says can't mount that image -- it is corrupt. G4 466 mHz with 384 memory and net access via AirPort and mobile broadband.

Some things are okay the first time: I've applied maybe 8 system updates without a single problem. Others either work or they don't: If they don't I can D/L two or three times and get exactly the same (bad) result each time.

Any thoughts?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It may be your connection that's causing it. Have you tried connecting to other wireless networks to see if the same thing happens? Also, a G4 466 MHz machine with only 384 MB of memory is not exactly a "speed demon".

OP
W
Reaction score
It may be your connection that's causing it. Have you tried connecting to other wireless networks to see if the same thing happens? Also, a G4 466 MHz machine with only 384 MB of memory is not exactly a "speed demon".

I guess I've tried downloading stuff from at least half a dozen different sources -- i.e., networks. The system updates (from Apple) were all fine -- one or two timed out, but once downloaded there was no sign of error. One of those was 104 meg.

Some sites had files that loaded and others that did not.

These were 'respectable' sites -- cnet was one of them, truecrypt was another.

Yeah, I know this system isn't what is currently the hottest thing going. However it came along just when I had decided to get my feet wet with Apple and the price was definitely right.

Thanks for the answer: I'm definitely puzzled by this one.

B-26, right? An unusual avatar ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
B-26, right? An unusual avatar ...

Douglas B-26D Invader. My younger days as crew chief.... O:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.