Installing Mac osx retail on machine with no os? HELP

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new here but not new to apple products. Love the iPhone, but i just recently got a MacBook off craigslist. I also acedentally erased the hard drive. Lucky for me I have a backup cd, but when I put it in the machine it doesn't read it and a folder with a question mark comes up. I also have osx 10.6 retail on a flash drive. Anyone know how I can get this to install?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
Put the CD in the drive, restart you computer then hold the C key. This will boot up from the CD.

Good luck!

- Kyle

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And of course you do mean a retail version of the DVD when you say 'backup cd' and not some pirated or copied disc?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I also have osx 10.6 retail on a flash drive. Anyone know how I can get this to install?

What color is the DVD you tried to use...gray or black?

Where did the 10.6 on the flash drive come from?

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
The disk is black with a big X on it. The 10.6 was created by my friend as a backup of the disk I have, since we havn't been able to get the disk to work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.