Macbook Pro 15.3'' i5 Fan Issue

Reaction score
I've had my 15 inch Macbook Pro i5 since last June and haven't had a problem with it until now. Even when its cold sometimes the left fan will randomly kick on for no apparent reason. The fan goes for awhile and almost sputters, not knowing if to stay on or not. It dosen't matter if its plugged in or running on the battery. I'm sure this fan speed isn't normal because its only recently started to do it and it is much louder than it has ever been. Also, when the left fan kicks on, putting slight pressure on the bottom right speaker will make it turn off, when I release the pressure the fan continues to make noise.

I've tried resetting my smc multiple times like other fan noise posts have recommended and all of my software is up-to-date. I'm starting to believe that this is a hardware issue and I will have to send it in to be repaired.

Has anyone experienced this before and have any advice?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums.

Your machine is still covered under the one year Apple warranty. I suggest calling your local Apple store or Apple support. If there is an Apple store nearby, make an appointment with the genius bar and have them look at it.

The problem with the fan could be something simple or could require some major work. So it's best left to Apple to deal with it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I don't have an apple store nearby but there is a Best Buy that sells Macs. Do you know if they could help me out? Or am I just better off sending it in?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Best Buy is an authorized Apple dealer and repair. I believe if it were my machine, I would contact Apple and arrange to have it shipped to them. Of course that's entirely up to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.