can't get back used hard drive memory

Reaction score
My computer had 30GB remaining so I installed Final cut pro into my computer which took up 24GB. I figured that I will just use my external hard drive to store projects. But what end up happening is that the program did not download sucessfully so I went into the application folder and deleted some of the software that it came with which was livetype, dvd studio, and compressor to name a few. After deleting them in the trash bin there was only about 1gb in memory change. I even went to the erase free space option and it did not do much. Is there anyway I can get my 23GB of memory back? I have a MacBook Pro with Mac OS X version 10.5.8

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You moved the items to the trash...but did you actually empty the trash?

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
You moved the items to the trash...but did you actually empty the trash?

- Nick

I dragged the icons to the trash bin then empty the trash and I did not get the 24GB backs. I dont know what else to do. and I called apple and they recommended that I do the erase free memory, but It did not do much for me.are there any recommendation on your end?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I dragged the icons to the trash bin then empty the trash and I did not get the 24GB backs. I dont know what else to do. and I called apple and they recommended that I do the erase free memory, but It did not do much for me.are there any recommendation on your end?

Are the items you moved to the trash still there?

If so...you may need to "force" the trash can to delete the files by first pressing the "option" key...then select "empty trash".

HTH,

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
Are the items you moved to the trash still there?

If so...you may need to "force" the trash can to delete the files by first pressing the "option" key...then select "empty trash".

HTH,

- Nick

I just did it and nothing happened? It just deleted all the new stuff I put in there to clear out space. do you recommend anything else

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.