External Hard drive not recognized

Reaction score
Hello, I have a Western Digital external hard drive (similar or the same as this one : Western Digital - My Passport Essential SE 1TB External USB 3.0/2.0 Portable Hard Drive - Black - WDBACX0010BBK-NESN) and i've never really had issues with it. I'm a graphic design student, so it's kind of my lifeline. The other day I had it plugged in during class, and it was working,e verything was fine, and I ejected it as normal but when I got home and plugged it back into my computer the computer just wouldn't recognize it. The light comes on, but it doesn't pop up on the desktop and it doesn't show up in disk utility. Also, I don't really understand System Profiler, but I can't find it there either. Is there anything else I can try before I give up and take it somewhere to be looked at?
thanks so much!
-Amy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Does the disk show up in DiskUtility ?

You can find that app. in Applications/Utilities/ Disk Utility.app

Cheers ... McBie

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried it in disk utility and in system profiler, and it doesn't show up in either. I also just tried it on one of the school's desktops and it does the same thing on those computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Currently 13" Late 2010 MBA, 4GB/128GB; Early 2011 13" MBP, dual core i7 2.7ghz, 4gb ram, 500gb hd
It's possible the USB controller failed in the drive. That's both good and bad news. Good in that the drive had not failed and the data would be intact. Bad in that you can't access it immediately. I'd recommend purchasing a USB drive enclosure, putting the drive in it, and seeing if it works. If not, return the enclosure. If so, you're back in business. I know WD usually has a 3 year warranty on consumer drives and 5 year on professional, but replacing the drive doesn't get your data back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.