File Sync software

Reaction score
I have all my master files on external drive but would like to sync them locally, since that's where I do most of my work and then cut to the external device, anyone know of a decent sync app, preferably free.

Thanks

Reaction score
I recommend Dropbox. There are a number of third party apps to simplify the Dropbox process, such as this one.

Reaction score
Yes, Dropbox is great. Chronosync is another alternative, and although not free is far more flexible. Great support, too. Worth a look.

OP
M
Reaction score
I looked at DropBox before starting this thread and thought it catered more for syncing to an online folder and didn't look that logical, so maybe another look at it is required.

Thanks

Reaction score
I used Chronosync for years to backup to external drives, then when I got my MacBook Pro I started using it to sync folders between the MBP and my iMac. Then the hard disk in my iMac went south, messing up my syncs as I had to boot from a backup clone created using SuperDuper! (I still am!).

Dropbox allows me to access files on my iMac and MBP without having to perform any sort of sync. They're just there. It also stores files locally on your drive, not just on a cloud. If you just want basic syncing Dropbox is great. (And free.)

OP
M
Reaction score
Umm, trying to find a reason to use dropbox, it maybe good for having a single repository which both computers can access but I really need to sync a folder on my desktop with the same folder on an external HD.

Plus I'm syncing 112gb

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have just requested the 30 day full trial of chronosync for work, seems like a great product

I have been trying RsyncX, its free and works (manually) but its schedule and automatic system seem to be designed to confuse the user - which is a pitty

Reaction score
Chronosync is great. Not free, but value for money with great support.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.