iTunes Library file locked

Reaction score
I was in the middle of downloading a music CD when everything seemed to stop. When I tried to eject the disc, I was told it was being used by iTunes. It was a 42 track disc, so I left it a while longer, but the same result. The iTunes icon in the dock would not respond so I tried to 'Force Quit' and eject the disc. The disc icon on the desktop has gone, but the disc did not eject. When I now try to open iTunes, I am told that " The iTunes Library file is locked, on a locked disc, or you do not have permission for this file."

So, I can not access iTunes and I cannot eject the disc - any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Restart the Mac while holding down the mouse, this should eject the disc.
Then I would run disk utility and verify permissions. That should fix any permission error in iTunes.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Kevriano - before you replied somebody said to restart holding down the eject button and that did seem to work. iTunes has also restored itself. On closer examination, the CD had something sticky on the reverse side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Glad it's sorted, be very wary of discs that aren't clean or have sticky labels on too, because they wreak havoc on drives.

Reaction score
itunes library locked

In the ciurse of normal operation on my Lion iMac I periodically try to start itunes and get the 'file locked message'. This happens even if I've been using iTunes, closed it, and then tried to reopen. Not always, just once or twice a month.
It is easily fixed by rebooting.
I've had the iMac for about 8 months and frequently have to reboot it to fix a problem. Even talking to Apple support they tell me to reboot it.
Is this Apple's vaunted stability?

AT any rate, why does this file get locked and how can I prevent it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.