Emac Boot Issues

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1GHz
I've just inherited an emac the previous owner said was dead, with a blank screen - already have one so I'm fairly familiar with emacs, and thought if I can resurrect this one it'd be ideal for the kids.

I managed to do a power reset which bought up the apple screen, but it wouldn't boot into the OS. I reinstalled OSX using the install disk, all seemed to install ok, but on restart the screen is freezing on the welcome screen.

Quick question therefore is this likely to be logic board failure, or is there a quick and easy (and cheap) fix for this?

Many thanks in advance for any assistance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

First question is the Mac a 1.25GHz model as these have severe capacitor problems which cause freezing as you describe.

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=2071244

Capacitors in that era caused faults with all brands of computers. First sign is a bulging and/or discharging capacitor.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1GHz
G'day Harry - thanks for your reply. Just time to have a look at the emac again and it is indeed a 1.25. I've opened the memory cover and can't see any bulging caps. It starts ok in safe mode though - I'll try disabling the ATI extensions as per that article you linked to and see how I get on.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Emac 1GHz
OK, I've deleted the ATI extensions and the emac is running quite happily now - everything else, sound, network, etc., is fine.

Given that it seems very likely to be capacitor problems are there any vendors of replacement boards out there, or is a case of trying to find one on ebay without this issue? While I don't mind switching components in the emac I don't think I could replace capacitors.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15" Late 2011 2.2ghz i7, 8GB RAM, 128GB OCZ-VERTEX4 SSD, 500GB SATA HD
I bought some caps off eBay and replaced them myself. I was having the same problems with mine so I opened it up and had a look and 1 cap had a slight bulge so I replaced and the eMac worked like a dream after that

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.