Can I put officemac 2004 or wordmac 2004 on my Mac???

Reaction score
Sorry, I figured this had to already been asked but I couldn't find it... If I missed it I'm sorry... I want to put either officemac or wordmac on my macbook.. I read that officemac 2004 or wordmac 2004 at least needs a certain size G3 or G4 to be able to work... So will officemac 2004 or wordmac 2004 work with the new intel processors or is it not compatible and I need to at least use officemac 2008?

This is the specs on my Macbook
Intel Core Duo 2 GHz
2 GB Memory
200 GB Hard Drive Size
1280 x 800 13.5" Display
Intel GMA 950 Graphics Processor
OS X 10.5.6 Operating System
Webcam, Bluetooth, DVD R/RW

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to correct forum.

Office 2004 or Office 2008 will work on both a PPC and Intel machine. Office uses Rosetta so that it can be installed on an Intel Mac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Moved to correct forum.

Office 2004 or Office 2008 will work on both a PPC and Intel machine. Office uses Rosetta so that it can be installed on an Intel Mac.

Thanks for the info. Now this Rosetta your saying that needs to be installed... Is this a free download or something you have to buy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You should already have Rosetta included with your copy of OS X. If not, it will be downloaded when you install Office 2004. Rosetta was included with OS X up to 10.5.8. It's optional with Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I've never been able to detect the presence of Rosetta on my Core 2 Duo Mac Mini. Where does it hide?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I show on my machine:

/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Rosetta.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Rosetta.plist
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.3.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.3.plist
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.4.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.4.plist
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_rosetta
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_rosetta.map

Reaction score
Maybe try using openoffice which works splendidly on macs, unless of course you have valid reasons not to (company policy, etc.)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not to put down your suggestion regarding Open Office (after all it's free) but it's definitely clunky and ugly. Not at all elegant for a Mac application.

I no longer recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's what I show on my machine:

/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Rosetta.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Rosetta.plist
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.3.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.3.plist
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.4.bom
/private/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.update.rosetta.10.6.4.plist
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_rosetta
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_rosetta.map

That would be informative if it indicated where this "private" folder is found. But, if I put "rosetta" into Spotlight, it returns nothing. Typical.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Volumes/MacIntosh HD/private/ :)

I didn't use Spotlight to find them. I use the handy utility "Find Any File.app" which you can download from here. BTW, it's free.

OP
S
Reaction score
You should already have Rosetta included with your copy of OS X. If not, it will be downloaded when you install Office 2004. Rosetta was included with OS X up to 10.5.8. It's optional with Snow Leopard.

Great!!! Thanks so much for the info!!!! For what little i'm going to use officemac I can get a good deal on the 2004...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
/Volumes/MacIntosh HD/private/

No such place in Leopard. I still have no evidence that Rosetta exists on my computer. (Core 2 Duo)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's strange. I know that when I was running Leopard, it was definitely there otherwise I couldn't have installed Office. Also, I seem to remember that when I upgraded from Leopard to Snow Leopard, Rosetta was one of the choices given to be carried over.

Did you download and use "Find Any File"? Way better than Spotlight.

Reaction score
Great!!! Thanks so much for the info!!!! For what little i'm going to use officemac I can get a good deal on the 2004...

You may want to note that if the rumors are true, and OS X 10.7 (coming this summer) drops support for all PowerPC applcations, if you intend to upgrade to OS X 10.7, Office/Word 2004 won't run under OS X 10.7.

toMACsh said:
...But, if I put "rosetta" into Spotlight, it returns nothing. Typical.

Spotlight is designed not to search in a lot of places on your Mac. (Presumably Apple designed Spotlight this way to give less cluttered, more focused results; to keep users out of trouble; and to make searches faster.) Spotlight tends to avoid looking in places on your hard drive where files reside that have to do with system software or with meta data. Spotlight also does not look for invisible files.

If you want to search for everything on your hard drive, I recommend:

EasyFind (free)
Download

EasyFind will search anywhere and everywhere that you tell it to. It
will look for invisible files if you ask it to. It will even search
for the content of files if you ask it to. (But it will be drastically slower than Spotlight for doing the latter because EasyFind does not use a pre-cached index to do searches.) It should have no problem finding Rosetta's files on your hard drive.

chscag said:
Not to put down your suggestion regarding Open Office (after all it's free) but it's definitely clunky and ugly. Not at all elegant for a Mac application.

OpenOffice isn't the most advanced of the half a dozen or so projects that aim to port the open source OpenOffice code for the Macintosh. The most advanced one currently is:

NeoOffice (free)
NeoOffice Home
NeoOffice isn't clunky or ugly. And as you say, it is free, so it is worth a try.

In short order, this will be the most advanced project, because it has more work going into it:

LibreOffice (free)
Home » LibreOffice

Google, Novell and Red Hat are all working on LibreOffice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you download and use "Find Any File"? Way better than Spotlight.

Naw. I rarely need to search for anything. This is just curiosity, not vital. But, if someone asks me if I have Rosetta, I'd have to say "I don't know!"

Reaction score
Naw. I rarely need to search for anything. This is just curiosity, not vital. But, if someone asks me if I have Rosetta, I'd have to say "I don't know!"

Launch Terminal

Copy and paste this into the Terminal:

[ -e "/var/db/receipts/com.apple.pkg.Rosetta.plist" ] && echo Rosetta installed || echo Rosetta NOT installed

Hit Return.

Then you will know. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.