Dictionary help

Reaction score
Hey Macfans,

I've got a problem with the Dictionary application when I switch it to Wikipedia. The scroll bar on the right side disappears for some reason even when the content runs longer than a whole page. Does anybody know a fix or an update? The version of Dictionary is 2.0.2 and I'm running OSX Leopard 10.5.8.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Works OK in Snow Leopard. I doubt there will be a fix for Leopard as 10.5.8 was the last update. Have you tried making the dialog box larger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
That won't work. But, it's a well documented issue. I have the procedure. I'll post it later. I've actually given up on using Wikipedia in Dictionary. The fix is only good for 30 days. I think the procedure explains why.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
here you go...

Dictionary: Wikipedia Scroll Bar

Step 1. 
Close the Dictionary application.
Open the Safari Browser (may not work with other browsers).
Go to the Wikipedia.org main page

Step 2. 
Check the option Remember me (up to 30 days)

Step 3. Click on New features at the top of the page.

Step 4. Turn off the new features by scrolling to the bottom of the page to where it says Turn me back!.

Step 5. Click the Turn new features off button.

Step 6. Open the Dictionary.app. The scroll-bar should now be visible when viewing Wikipedia articles.

It initially didn't work for me until I deleted all preferences referring to the Dictionary app, increased Safari's cache from 5 to 500mb, told Safari to remember history for 30 days, turned off private browsing and most importantly, checked the "remember for 30 days" option on Wikipedia.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.