My Poor Mac :-(

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Sadly, my PowerMac G4, which has run fantastically since I bought it, has had some problems after a recent power outage. Whenever it's plugged in (even if I haven't turned it on yet), I can hear the fan running (it's always run while the computer was on, always quietly), but the light on the power button isn't on. Holding down the power button doesn't seem to do anything. Also, the monitor I have connected to it doesn't display anything; I think this is a problem with the Mac, not the monitor, but I could be wrong. I've gotta admit, this one's got me stumped. If any of you can help at all, I would greatly appreciate it!

Reaction score
Well ...If I had picked up a G4 like this the first thing I would do is install a new battery then unplug the hard drive and try to start it up. Also reseat the video card and memory sticks. If you get the same result..most likely the power supply is bad.

OP
H
Reaction score
Oddly enough, I was using a surge protector when it happened (which I will not be using any more). In case anyone was interested, I found the time to take it apart today, and the PSU ended up failing the paperclip test. It looks like the replacement parts are going for $30-$70 on ebay, but that seems a little too pricey to fix up a 10 year old computer. On the other hand, I've always found the case gorgeous, so maybe I could make something cool out of it, and sell the remaining parts. Thanks so much for your help, Mac SK!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
You could contact the manufacturer of the Surge protector they usually have some sort of refund for damage caused while using there device.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Until you attempt to claim money the refund scheme is great. Like all forms of insurance, the company would rather have a 23 storey office block than pay out refunds. If you can get the parts for the lower price scale go for it hello!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.