17" iMac or 20" iMac?

S

sursuciofla

I have an ibook but now I want an imac for my video editing, etc. Ibook works just fine for me but I would like a G5 to handle the big stuff now and just use my ibook for the lighter. I was thinking of the low-end iMac and maxing out the RAM, but want your opinions on whether the 17" is very much inferior to the 20" model as far as performance goes. I don't care about superdrive, I prefer my Lacie burner. I thought about a Powermac or getting a Powerbook but I am going to wait a couple of years for Intel transition. Thank you all ahead of time for taking the time to give me your opinions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, the 0.2GHz is not going to be a huge difference and neither is the minimal bus speed increase.
Plus, if you plan on maxing out the RAM on the 17" that would make up for any possible lag or extremely slight inferiority (when compared to a base model 20")
Sure the 20" is nicer, but the 17" is nothing to scoff at and if you are looking to save a bit on cost.
Personally, I would go with the middle one...the 17" with the same bus and processor as the 20". Just max out the RAM on that one and you are good to go!
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
You probably shouldn't wait for the Intel, because that's only going to slow down the computers, which is making me quite mad. I just suggest, if you dont need the extra features, get the 17" inch, but if your gonna upgrade it might cost as much as the 20" but I haven't used an iMac. When I edit video I hook my iBook up to a larger screen, normally. So if your going to do that get the 17 inch. But if not get the 20". And if you don't mind if it's big or small, just get the 17".

Holler!
-Dylan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.