Live mixing sound clips into podcast

Reaction score
Hi all!

So I do a weekly podcast with a few friends over Skype. I use Audio Hijack Pro to record our conversations and then I go back in later and add the sound effects using Amadeus Pro (or Audacity).

This works fine, but I'd love to find a way to add the sound effects (for segments, intro, outro, etc.) live while we are talking. This would save me the time of having to go edit them in later. And it would seem more natural if we can all hear the sound effects live and react to them.

I think you used to be able to do this with Ubercaster, but that program is dead now.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
what do you mean by sound effects, Limiting, compression or EQ, or whacky sci fi sound effects that you want to put in your piece to transition different sections etc?

OP
G
Reaction score
Wacky sci fi sound effects that I want to put in my piece to transition different sections.

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you would need something to trigger them. Ableton live would be a good program but its not free, but you can insert clips and trigger them at will.

you could do it by using a small audio interface, and and an ipod to trigger the samples;

or you could record the system audio with soundflower/AHP, and trigger them from itunes. - this would be the free way. (assuming you have bought/using the demo of AHP)

OP
G
Reaction score
The last way you mentioned sounds promising (not needing to purchase anything). But I don't think it'll work. How would you set it up? I use AHP to record the audio from Skype, but how do I get those sound effects to play through Skype so the other participants can hear them as well?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
by recording your system audio with sound flower. you cant record them through Skype as it doesn't have any Audio routing capabilities.

if you record your system audio, everything running through your computer will be recorded, so you could trigger them in finder.

OP
G
Reaction score
So there's no way to route sound effects into Skype so other people on the call can hear them?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
you might be able to use sound flower to do it, you would need to send your mic signal, plus whatever you are using to do the samples, onto soundflower, set skypes mic in put to soundflower. i have never done it, no guarantee it would work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.