Clearing history,cache,cookies...

A

alex22

Hi,
I'm selling my iMac G4-800/OS 10.2.8 as the Apple Care
is approaching expiration. I plan on purchasing a Mac Mini.

I would like to know how to clear the history, cookies, caches,etc.
to make it ready to sell. I have made online purchases with Visa and Paypal so I need to clear that as well. I have a .Mac account and will be putting that e-mail address in limbo until I get the new Mini.

The person at the Apple Store near where I live said there is software that should be used to clear things up.
What is the best way to approach this project?
I'm sure to have follow up questions along the way.
Thanks,
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
Use a firewire cable and use that transfer utility thing to send everything to your new mac mini. Everything on the old mac will be deleted.

OP
A

alex22

Hi,
Thanks for the speedy reply.
I don't have the Mini yet...will be using the funds from this to
get the Mini.
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, you could always do an erase and install using your Recovery discs.
That would get rid of your information and make sure the new owner had a completely fresh install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Actually if you're serious about protecting your data I'd go a step further.

1. Back up all your data - everything you need onto some external media (dvd, ext. harddrive, iPod etc.)

2. Put in your system discs and when the install window pops up, select disk utility from the menu bar.

3. Select the internal drive and select erase from the tab. Then hit security options and select an option according to how paranoid you are. (I'd go for the 7-Pass erase if 10.2. has that already).

4. Finish the installation process and the buyer will have a completely clean system to start with.

That way you can rest assured that it would be very difficult for anyone to retrieve any personal data off your drive.

This might sound a bit like overkill, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to have access to my old data.

OP
A

alex22

Hi and thanks,
I will find those dics amongst my clutter...
Before I do this do I need to delete my log-in user/password to none?
Any other prep work before I make this move?

This should take me back to the very same OS
that came with my Mac the day I purchased it correct?
I could then update it to the current 10.2.8 if I wanted to right?
I plan on installing some of the additional software back to my Mac
like Elements 2.0, iLife, and a few others. Does that sound right?

I'm not that good at under the hood stuff...
How long would you say the entire process should take?
Thanks again,
Alex

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) 400 MHz
Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar requires there to be a admin account with a user name & password. Your user name & password will be deleted while erasing the hard drive or formating the hard drive. Usually formating the drive, followed by reinstalling the OS is good enough to safeguard your info. Criminals wanting to steal your identity & financial info are more likely to hack corporate systems, or steal it right out of your trash if you don't shred your important documents.

Recently when i sold one of my G4's, i discovered a way to set up the computer to make it really nice for the person buying it. After installing Jaguar, the OS will display a welcome screen & walk the user thru some setup screens. When the welcome screen appears press the eject button on your keyboard to eject the installation CD, & then turn off the computer. When the new owner turns on their computer for the first time they will see the welcome screen, & be walked thru the setup screens. This makes it really easy for the new user to setup the computer with their user info. I'm not sure if this works the same with OEM installation CDs as it does with retail ones. You could find out though by turning on the computer to see if it does. If it does work with the OEM CD's, the computer will boot up into this state everytime until the user has entered the user info into the setup screens.

Installing Mac OS 10.2 Jaguar takes something like 30 or 40 minutes depending on what installation options you choose such as printer drivers, & languages to include.

OP
A

alex22

Thanks Gostwolf,
This has been a big help...
and thanks for the help from the others as well.
Take care,
Alex

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.