Macbook Pro 15" has constant problems!

Reaction score
Hi all. I bought a Macbook Pro (and the apple care protection plan) almost three years ago, and it has given me problems almost from the start. I have spent countless hours on the phone with support and going to my local genius bar. I have had the mother board replaced and the flex cable replaced recently. Any time a "fix" is done, the laptop works for a week or so, and then it is on to the next issue. The laptop is basically unusable.

What relief do I have? My three-year warranty is going to expire in a couple of months, and I am confident that Apple will not be able to finally fix the laptop prior to this point, and then I will be SOL! Anyone know how hard it would be to get a replacement laptop from Apple? I am not trying to get something for nothing here, but I do want the functioning Macbook Pro for which I paid good money! Instead a got a lemon. Help!

Reaction score
What country are you in if you don't mind me asking? Are you UK? If so, make sure you have all the relevant paper work from popping in and out of the apple store and the paper work for the repairs carried out. Go into your local apple store and demand that they fix it, If they do not, then id suggest getting in touch with your local trading standards, let them deal with it.

See a product has to conform to specifications for a minimum of 5 years due to european legislation, If you have proof you had faults with this machine within the first six months of sale and that it still does not conform to its specification then they should be able to get something done for you.

OP
P
Reaction score
I am in the U.S. I am going to the local Apple store today to demand a complete repair or a replacement. Wish me luck.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in the U.S. I am going to the local Apple store today to demand a complete repair or a replacement. Wish me luck.

Apple sometimes will do a replacement if they've tried something like 3 times to repair a computer...and are unsuccessful (this may not be an official policy...just from the feedback heard from other users).

I'm not sure how you were going to handle this (when you go to the Apple Store)...but I wouldn't advise going in "huffing & puffing" demanding a replacement. I think that the Apple folks like to "surprise" you with the "great news" offering you a replacement computer. If you try demanding a new one...they may exercise their "discretion" and not give you one just because you're being disagreeable & demanding.;)

Explain the situation calmly, emphasizing how many times you have had this computer in for repair, the inconvenience it is each time the computer is not functioning, and the hassle of driving to the Apple Store each time. They still may try to fix it...which of course would be fine as well...since you just want a working computer.

As I'm sure you know...definitely want to get this straightened out before the 3 year Applecare expires.

Good luck...please let us know how it goes, :)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
You've mentioned 2 problems which were repaired, and stated that you've had many other problems, and that your Mac is unusable but given no detail.
You also say nothing about what it is that is wrong with it now!
Is there anything wrong with it now?
Sounds a bit fishy to me.... like the warranty is running out and you want a new MBP.

Just saying what it sounds like :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Listing all the problems would give a more complete answer.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. The issue I was having was the computer freezing on me. The keyboard would not work, and the trackpad would not work. I would have to shut it down and restart. That fixed the problem about half the time, but then only for a few minutes before the same thing occurred.

I brought it in to the local Apple store the other day, and of course the laptop worked like a dream at the genius bar (figures). Anyway, the manager said they would keep the laptop for extensive testing, and if they are not able to fix the problem, they would consider giving me a new laptop. I would of course be happy with this, but I would be just as happy if they are able to completely fix my current laptop. All I want is a working MacBook Pro! I will keep you guys posted...

OP
P
Reaction score
I got my MBP back from the Apple store today. They replaced the keyboard assembly and topcase assembly. Hopefully this will fix the problem once and for all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP; 2 GHz Intel Core i7; 4GB 1333; 500GB-7200 HD; AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256M
Hi Purdy - sorry to tell you, but the latest 'fix' probably won't fix anything. I had a 15" early-2008 Macbook Pro that was having exactly the same problems you report, such as non-responsive keyboard; system lockup; randomly repeating keys; 'ghost typing' (I wasn't striking keys but gibberish appeared on the page as though some invisible thing was typing); multiple kernel panics, etc. Naturally the thing worked beautifully every time I took it to the Genius. I had the top case replaced twice, the logic board once, the keyboard assembly was replaced four times, a cable was replaced once, I had two new batteries... all under Apple Care (which I resisted getting but am very, VERY glad I did!) All in all I had that hunk of junk in seven (7) times for unsuccessful repair.

My Apple Care expires at the end of May this year, and a couple of weeks ago after a day in which I was forced to do 16 !!! bad restarts, I finally went in in frustration with all of my previous repair paperwork, along with information I'd found online about others experiencing similar problems, and *insisted* they fix it to my satisfaction. INSISTED. I pointed out that my Apple Care was about to expire, that I'd had it in seven times yet the problems remained and that I was not confident they'd be able to fix it before Apple Care ran out. I emphasized how very unhappy I had been with my experience, and how inconvenient it was to give up my computer to them so frequently. I mean, I was really escalated (not unpleasant, not impolite, just REALLY escalated and absolutely firm about expecting results).

The end result is that two weeks ago they decided the old MBP was not worth throwing more money into and gave me a replacement. I'm now the happy owner of a brand spankin' new 2011 15" MacBook Pro with all the bells and whistles and upgrades, much better, faster, and more reliable (not to mention prettier!) than the original, complete with 1-year warranty (and I've bought Apple Care on it too. I've learned my lesson).

Now I'm both happy AND impressed. Apple really does want to do right by its customers... I'm sure if you take them your repair history (and show them that it's a known problem) they'll do right by you, too. Best of luck with it... that particular problem was so incredibly frustrating it nearly sent me back to a PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 15" MBP; 2 GHz Intel Core i7; 4GB 1333; 500GB-7200 HD; AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256M
6string, I'm sure purdy93 is legit. I had the same myriad problems with the same vintage 15" MBP, experienced the same frustrations, endured the same useless 'fixes'. If ever a true POS rolled off the Apple assembly line, that particular line of machines was it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.