Considering iMac for photos, some video - Advice?

Reaction score
I'm thinking of switching to an iMac (fits my budget) I'm a photographer going pro... and in addtion to photo work I'll need some video editing ability... but nothing majors... just some HD video promo clips, samples etc.

Anyone advise which iMac would work for my needs for the now & future?

Any Photographers out there with input?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm thinking of switching to an iMac (fits my budget) I'm a photographer going pro... and in addtion to photo work I'll need some video editing ability... but nothing majors... just some HD video promo clips, samples etc.

Anyone advise which iMac would work for my needs for the now & future?

Any Photographers out there with input?
Any of the current iMacs would be more than suitable. A refurb (essentially a like-new Mac at a discount price) would give you the best value.
My own preference if your budget allows would be any of the 27in iMacs.

Either of these are good bargains and well under $2K

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

Refurbished iMac 27-inch 2.8GHz Intel Quad-Core i5 processor - Apple Store (U.S.)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I agree completely with Razormac.

Any iMac would do. Like Razormac, I favour and have, the 27 inch iMac - in my case the i7; but I'm sure the i3 or i5 would be fine.

You should get as much RAM as you can afford because you will surely be running Aperture 3 along with, perhaps, PhotoShop.

I'm biased no doubt, but I prefer Aperture3. I also find iMovie (which comes with OS X) to be more than adequate for all basic and some more complex video editing.

Have fun. I wish you well. The iMac is a winner.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.