mac g4 cube

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 macbook pro 13.3'' i7 750gb 8gb ram, iPad 3 64gb white, black iPhone 5
i was looking at picking up a mac g4 cube because it looks so good any ideas where to get one there is only one one Bay

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i was looking at picking up a mac g4 cube because it looks so good any ideas where to get one there is only one one Bay

e-Bay is really your best bet. I know that you have Craig's List in the UK as well...but I just checked it (Devon & Cornwall) & it doesn't seem to have too much action on it (just a single iPod Touch at the moment). You could check some of the other UK "big city" Craig's List pages...and maybe if there is a Mac Cube available...you can get the seller to ship it (if it's too far to drive).

Maybe you have some local "paper" for-sale options as well. Otherwise...just got to keep checking e-Bay.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Look on Gumtree too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
They are pretty expensive, since they are collectors items

Your best bet it to buy a non working one from ebay, just for the case

You could then put a mac mini motherboard in there and have a fast modern super cube running snow leopard

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They are pretty expensive, since they are collectors items

Your best bet it to buy a non working one from ebay, just for the case

Talking about expensive. It's surprising how much some folks here in the US (on e-Bay) are asking for Mac Cube parts. I got a pretty good deal on a Mac Cube about 6 months ago (e-Bay)...and I see sellers asking more for just the Mac Cube case than I paid for my 100% working Mac Cube.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 Cube 450MHz, MacBook Air 11" 2013, iMac 21.5" i3, iPad 1,1 32GB
Nick is absolutely right, the prices some sellers are asking are far too high for what you're getting.

Mac Mad, are you in Devon, UK? If so, very few G4 Cubes even made it to the UK in the first place, but they do pop up on eBay UK from time to time. I bought mine in January last year, and there are always one or two on at any given time.

If you want it in full, working order, you'll have to be patient, and be willing to possibly pay a price that is worth more than the sum of its parts!

It is a cracking computer though. I love the look of it on my desk :)

Good luck!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought mine in January last year, and there are always one or two on at any given time.

I remember when you got your Mac Cube!:) I forget though...did you get the Mac Cube special USB speakers with it?

I didn't get the special USB speakers with mine...so I'm still looking for them. I see them on e-Bay occasionally...sellers are asking too much for them. I may end up getting some non-Apple USB speakers.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Nick,

I was lucky enough to get two sets of speakers with my G4 Cube. I got the spherical USB ones and the first gen. Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and Sub which use USB as well. Both work well with the G4 Cube, although the Soundsticks are currently hooked up to my iMac.

Strangely enough, I don't actually own any speakers with the standard audio pin, just these two with USB and a set of FW400 ones.

David

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got the spherical USB ones and the first gen. Harmon Kardon Soundsticks and Sub which use USB as well. Both work well with the G4 Cube, although the Soundsticks are currently hooked up to my iMac.

That's pretty awesome...both sets of those speakers are usually priced pretty high on e-Bay.

In case you didn't know...those spherical speakers also came with the "lampshade" iMac G4's...but they have a different connector on them. I have a set for my iMac G4...but since they have a different connector...they cannot be used on my Mac Cube. And of course they cannot be used on any other computer either...such as a Mac Pro, MacBook, or iMac!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OP if you want one and see it on eBay or elsewhere, grab it. On collectors items the price is not going to come down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, dead right. Interestingly the G4 Cube USB speakers have worked with my MacBook fine, although now they are connected to my Cube.

I still haven't got hold of an iMac G4 yet, sadly, so I haven't come across that problem. I think the speakers you mention are a similar overall design except they are white on the inside rather than black like the G4 Cube ones. I imagine the sound quality is pretty similar too!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, dead right. Interestingly the G4 Cube USB speakers have worked with my MacBook fine, although now they are connected to my Cube.

Yes...since the Mac Cube speakers are USB...they will work with any Mac with USB ports...but (in case you didn't know)...the Mac Cube has "special" high-powered USB ports. So the volume on the speakers will probably get louder on your Mac Cube...but depending on how high you turn up the volume...they may sound just fine on your MacBook.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did not know that! Interesting... Makes it sound like the original MBA and its ability to use Apple's external SuperDrive while none of the other Macs could. Didn't that have a high-powered USB port too?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.